Car Home app -- What does it do?

bodean

Reaction score
Anyone who uses this, tell me the purpose of this app that comes default?
Do you use it or is it just an unused app?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The best advice I can give you is to try it. Its meant to be an interface thats less dangerous to use while on the road.

Kind of any oxymoron though. The cell phone belongs on the seat, not in the hand while behind the wheel.

alm0614

Reaction score
it access the navigation menu. why dont you just run it and see

jasonb

Reaction score
I hated it so I deleted it . You have to be rooted to delete it though.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Its basically a safety issue thing. Large icons so you can access your info without taking TOO much of your attention off the road and having to take the phone off of the car mount. It wont make sense unless you get a car mount.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Think of it as a portal in that it collects various apps/features/info together for a common theme or purpose. Like the homedock mode gives you the weather, the time, quick access to an alarm clock, and a scrolling picture album.

I place the droid into the car dock and this is the screen that comes up. This app lets you pull up this mode without needing the dock. Snap the Droid into the dock and push the app I want to use and I'm good to go. Because it comes up by default I use this car app every time I slap the Droid into the card dock.

jasonb

Reaction score
I hated it so I deleted it . You have to be rooted to delete it though.

I actually found it useful. Ive retired my Garmin GPS because of it. No more paying 50 bucks for an update on the map.

You can still use gps without carhome. I just found the carhome app annoying and useless. It doesn't add any featues , its just a screen with some bigger icons.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's handy IMO as I don't have to hunt and peck with tons of smaller icons while driving. The voice search button in the middle of the car home is what I use most anyway and it reduces accessing voice search for navigation to a single press versus the alternative.

The cell phone belongs on the seat, not in the hand while behind the wheel.
...or, better yet, a device mount in your car.

So it has nothing to do with using navigation while driving?
No, that's precisely what it is intended for. If you place the Droid in the OEM car dock it automatically puts the Droid in the Car Home.

jasonb

Reaction score
It's handy IMO as I don't have to hunt and peck with tons of smaller icons while driving. The voice search button in the middle of the car home is what I use most anyway and it reduces accessing voice search for navigation to a single press versus the alternative.

you can also just long press the hot key on the bottom right hand corner and it'll pop up with a voice search prompt. simply say "navigate to...." and it'll do it the same way.

nighthawk700

Reaction score
There is a free app called "Dock Nothingness". Instead of deleting the car home, it'll offer you the choice of the car home, or... nothing (e.g. your regular screen). You can choose to have it remember the option you pick. If you pick dock nothingness, then when you put your droid on the car dock, nothing happens (no car home).