Car dock, incoming calls, and landscape mode...

Kitulu

Reaction score
I noticed today that when I recieved an incoming call and my Droid was in the car dock, the phone app (for lack of a better term) was sideways. Is it not supposed to rotate like everything else does?

volando

Reaction score
yeah, it's pretty ridiculous how it's coded, i have no idea how this passed any sort of usability committee... ha, who am i kidding, what usability committee :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It was a decision Motorola made if you Google around. Apparently they know better than we do how we intend to use our Droids... :icon_rolleyes:

The home screen doesn't rotate either -- outside of any dock and unless you slide open the keyboard, that is. IIRC, it did before the 2.0.1 update.

Last edited:

Big Cam

Reaction score
It was a decision Motorola made if you Google around. Apparently they know better than we do how we intend to use our Droids... :icon_rolleyes:

The home screen doesn't rotate either -- outside of any dock and unless you slide open the keyboard, that is. IIRC, it did before the 2.0.1 update.
Helix launcher 1 allows the home screen to rotate freely, and I actually don't like it so I turned that feature off.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Yeah, having the homescreen auto-rotate is one of the most annoying "features" ever conceived. That is probably the reason they don't allow it.

r314bd

Reaction score
To this day this is the one issue I haven't been able to resolve on my Droid...and I've had it since February. The incoming call/in-call screens remain in portrait mode while my Droid is in the car dock.

Motorola not wanting auto-rotate is completely understandable; but just like they coded the home screen to remain in portrait mode unless docked, they can code the incoming call/in-call screens to remain in portrait unless docked as well. It's not rocket science.

/rant

Jejackson

Reaction score
I just got the car dock yesterday, for 15 bucks (craigslist), and I went the landscape route as well. the phone app staying in portrait is annoying but I can live with it. what I would really like is a music app with lock screen controls that go into landscape mode. Right now 'cubed' and 'mixzing' both have lock screen controls but its less convenient more often to try and change a song than try and answer the phone in portrait mode. Anyone find a solution for this yet?

amn70

Reaction score
I also hate that the call screen doesn't allow for landscape. I installed the Dialer One app so at least my dial pad can rotate but it still doesn't help the incoming call screen. I cannot see why Motorola would feel the incoming call screen shouldn't rotate. Anyone have any idea why they might have come to this decision?

r314bd

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why they might have come to this decision?

The only thing I can think of is that none of the Android programmers are aware (or care) about this issue. Otherwise they would've realized pretty quickly that this is a defect.

64236427.jpg

JimmyD

Reaction score
....I cannot see why Motorola would feel the incoming call screen shouldn't rotate. Anyone have any idea why they might have come to this decision?

My guess is: Since the feature in question is the PHONE app, Google might be thinking "no one would ever hold a phone against their head in a horizontal position, so we won't allow for the phone app to auto-rotate"... obviously discounting the fact there's a speaker phone and bluetooth capabilities.

I dunno.... this is just a guess... 100% speculation on my part.

Teezy

Reaction score
....I cannot see why Motorola would feel the incoming call screen shouldn't rotate. Anyone have any idea why they might have come to this decision?

My guess is: Since the feature in question is the PHONE app, Google might be thinking "no one would ever hold a phone against their head in a horizontal position, so we won't allow for the phone app to auto-rotate"... obviously discounting the fact there's a speaker phone and bluetooth capabilities.

I dunno.... this is just a guess... 100% speculation on my part.

Makes total sense!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ntopcattroy

Reaction score
app to let you have landscape dialer

Well i've got the cure.
biggrin.gif

I have the verizon thunderbolt.
So this is the only phone i've tested it on.
You can get the car home ultra licence app.
The link below is for the free one. Not sure if it has the option but the paid one does.
Hint:try ***********
The one with the litte red car as the icon shortcut.
Inside this app's options it has a check box to turn on car home
which came with the phone. It acts like you put it into a car dock from verizon.
And guess what the dialer is now landscape. So when you use this app
when your driving you can put a shortcuts on the app to call or open the phone.
It is in LANDSCAPE. It took me since the phone came out till today to find this
to work. Hope this helps anybody with a thunderbolt. and i bet other androids too.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result