car dock dash mount

Jake Benson

Reaction score
I want to get a dash mount for my droid x. It seems there is one made my Verizion and one by Motorola. If so, which is better? I want one that charges the phone while in use. I already have a radar detector attached to my windshield, so the droid x holder would have to be mounted on the dash.

mcsulliv

Reaction score
I originally bought the motorola one but returned it when I discovered my low profile case wouldn't fit in it. I bought the generic verizon one and I'd argue that its much better. Arm is very long and flexible so its versatile. And cheaper.

jwilliams44

Reaction score
I purchased mine through Verizon and it fits perfect, works very well and love the hands free feature of the callers voice going through car speakers when plugged into the MP3 port of the radio.

DRMMR02

Reaction score
I was not aware there was more than one, and the Verizon site is only listing the one I have, which is made by Motorola. Anyone got a link to the other car mount?

cjbear10

Reaction score
As to the original wiring question: I have not found a hardwire kit on the market and ended up fabricating my own. It's all pretty easy after you drill that hole in the dash. :) It would seem you may also have a ground loop between your radio auxiliary input and the power adapter.

Assuming you are not highly cost sensitive, a local custom radio installation shop could likely conceal all the wiring for you and make some grounding changes to remove the noise. Your best bet is to first try an alternate 12V power adapter and insure the noise is not from the battery protection circuitry.

YMMV,
Bear

jwilliams44

Reaction score
As to the original wiring question: I have not found a hardwire kit on the market and ended up fabricating my own. It's all pretty easy after you drill that hole in the dash. :) It would seem you may also have a ground loop between your radio auxiliary input and the power adapter.

Assuming you are not highly cost sensitive, a local custom radio installation shop could likely conceal all the wiring for you and make some grounding changes to remove the noise. Your best bet is to first try an alternate 12V power adapter and insure the noise is not from the battery protection circuitry.

YMMV,
Bear

Not sure what noise you are talking about, if you are referring to my post, it's not noise, it's a feature. When using it in Car Dock mode it pauses the music and puts the voice over the car speakers, hang up and back to your music all hands free.

Forgot to mention that the one I have is the Motorola one with Verizon packaging. It has a micro USB connection on the back side for powering/charging the phone. I simply bought a USB accessory plug adapter and use my charger USB cable that came with the phone.

For your mounting issue, it comes with a hard plastic disc that can be put on the dashboard (or anyplace else) that serves as a flat surface for the suction cup.

Tower101

Reaction score
I originally bought the motorola one but returned it when I discovered my low profile case wouldn't fit in it. I bought the generic verizon one and I'd argue that its much better. Arm is very long and flexible so its versatile. And cheaper.

Your case would not fit? Did you take the docks insert out?

To the OP I don't believe there are 2, Verizon sells the Moto one.

KilrB

Reaction score
I was not aware there was an insert. I was thinking about buying one but wanted to wait until Otterbox case came out for the X which the defender series should be pretty thick.

I am curious how much room is gained with the insert removed?

Thanks

Tower101

Reaction score
I was not aware there was an insert. I was thinking about buying one but wanted to wait until Otterbox case came out for the X which the defender series should be pretty thick.

I am curious how much room is gained with the insert removed?

Thanks

dock with insert

CIMG2516.jpg

Dock without

CIMG2517.jpg

Insert

CIMG2518.jpg

CIMG2522.jpg

It works fine with a case a buddy got off of ebay, I don't use a case so I leave it in.

Woggy64

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
Woggy64
I was wondering if you had to file down that point on the mount after removing the insert? VZW rep told me that's what I need to do to get the X to fit in the mount if I'm using any kind of case on my X.

PACanesFan

Reaction score

How did you get the ground loop out? I have a ground loop and it driving me INSANE (though most everyone agrees it isn't that bad and hardly noticeable.)

Sfeingold12

Reaction score

Kandiru

Reaction score
While searching for a non-bulky car mount for my droid x that would allow a case to be put on it, I found this

SlipGrip Car Holder 4 Verizon Motorola Droid X Phone WC - eBay (item 140431858235 end time Aug-24-10 10:50:52 PDT)

It claims that a hard case would work with it. Has anyone tried this? I am thinking of purchasing
Thanks
-S

~My droid x comes in the mail tomorrow!!!~

IMHO the MOBI looks a lot better, on the one on ebay you can see the thin plastic retaining clip on top, while the MOBI has internal springloading and much beefier rubberized grip surface. MOBI $9. The grip arm extenders come off easily for a nice low profile look. I also used Velcro at the bottom without the AC vent clips.
41dl4xftswL._SS400_.jpg