Car dock audio quality - horrible

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by heem, May 23, 2011.

1. heem

heem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I have the new Charge, and the car dock that is designed specificly for it. I was super excited that I could plug the power and audio jacks directly into the dock instead of having to manually plug them like I used to have to do with the D1.

Now that the weekend is over, I get to play with the thing in the car without the kids and wife, (read: I get to crank my tunes..)

The audio from the line out on the dock sounds HORRIBLE. I even downloaded winamp, which I used to use on the D1 (which sounded fine) and it still sounds bad. Almost like you took all the bass bars on an EQ and pushed them right to the bottom, and then cranked all the treble ones right to the top.

I should say that I'm no audiophile. I know there are people that complain about the slightest amount of background noise and can detect the smallest problems and blow it way out of proportion - not me, I don't care that much, I just want it to sound normal.

When I got to work I pulled the phone out of the dock and plugged the audio cable up to the headphone jack - sounded fine. So the problem is certainly the dock.. but is it a hardware problem or software?

2. elucid

elucid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the problem with the dock, or is the quality bad plugging directly into the phone?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

3. heem

heem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Audio from the phone seems fine. it's the line out/dock that is poor. What I'm not sure is if it's hardware or software - that is, can I tweak something to bring the sound back.

The built in audio player has some fancy "bass enhancement" modes and such, but none of them work while using the line out (which seems counter-intuitive - wouldnt that be exactly when you'd want to use those features?)

4. heem

heem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke with some people at Samsung about the audio issue through the dock. They are aware of the issue, but the person I was talking to could not verify if this was a software issue that could possibly be resolved, or a limitation in the hardware. With the audio connected to the headphone jack, this thing blows away anything I've ever plugged into my AUX port in audio quality, so I guess I've been plugging an audio cable every day into my D1, may as well continue that with the Charge.

I'm hoping maybe the guys that make the Voodoo Control will be able to tackle this one if it is indeed just a software limitation.

5. elucid

elucid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update. At least we know the audio striaght out of the droid is good!

6. zman6900

zman6900 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I thought I should give my input here. I also just got the Charge. The aux output on the Device sounds great - better than my old DX. When I put it in the Desktop Dock and stream the audio from the dock, it sounds kinda weak.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  7. howdoyou

howdoyou New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im trying to plug mine into the JVC head unit via usb cable but it will only see it as a storage device and wont play music. The aux jack is horrible. Any help out there?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

8. miroade3

miroade3 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im surprised to find this, i bought a Griffin AUX-IN 6' plug, hooked it up to my car dock and to my head unit, and i honestly had no issue with the sound quality, when i was bored at work i was sitting watching forest gump on my phone and listening through the stereo and it sounded great, i didnt have to change any of my audio settings on my stereo at all.

Search tags for this page

auxiliary sounds horrible from droid

bionic car dock music quality

samsung s4 bad audio out when charging through car