Car Dock and Overheating??

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pilot25, Apr 11, 2010.

1. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

Anyone have a problem with your phone getting really hot while on your car dash? The sun beats on it then stops charging. Once it cools down, after removing it from the dash, it starts charging again. I'm not rooted or overclocked.
  2. rjax

rjax New Member

I just noticed this today (my phone wasn't charging despite being plugged in, and it was fairly warm when I took it out of the dock). I hadn't associated the behavior with overheating, even though in retrospect it seems like the most obvious conclusion.

I'm also stock all the way.
  3. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you running Maps or Pandora or anything while charging and in the dock?
  4. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

maps. does it matter??
  5. rjax

rjax New Member

It matters, but I don't know how preventable it is. Maps will use both GPS and 3G, which definitely heats the phone up.

However, I was only using the stock music app (with the screen on -- certainly a contributing factor), so it can happen even with no GPS/large amounts of data being used.
  6. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

Thinking about it. Couple times moving it off the dash I still had the maps running but it was out of the sunlight. Started charging after about 15 minutes out of the sun. It's never done this before but it just started getting warm the last couple weeks here in D.C.

I can't believe that kind of heat would shut down the battery charging. Guess I'm going to need to get one of those vent mounts. Otherwise the NAV portion of the phone is completely useless in the summer.
  7. souljerr

souljerr New Member

When I use the car dock and run maps it runs hot also. It doesn't stop charging though. I thought it might just be the sun beating down on it bur now I'm not so sure.
  8. Dxun

Dxun New Member

This answers a lot of my questions. I take a drive to Vegas from AZ just about every 2 weeks. I use the GPS for this trip and found that my battery is near dead by the time i get to my destination. I never thought for 1 second that it stopped taking charge due to the phone temp. I'll try something different Tuesday when i leave for Vegas again. See if keeping the phone out of the windshield helps any. I thought it was the phone using more power than what the charger was providing.
  9. rjax

rjax New Member

I'm in DC, too, interestingly enough.

I'd have to see the Droid stop charging a few more times under possible overheating conditions to truly be concerned about it, though.

I do wonder if the dock would help prevent this, if the dock were white.
  10. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

My screen shuts off when charging stops. After a couple times I set it to dim after a minute of no use so I know when it's too hot and the charge has dropped off.

I would like to hope the next gen devices (incredible and such) won't have this problem but how do you fight the sun? How does Garmin, etc... do it?
  11. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

I doubt it. I drove from Quantico, VA to Frederick, MD and back today (1.5hours each way) and it didn't have a problem for the first 45 minutes then it started getting hot. I'd put my hand on the dash, after taking it down, and the dash was boiling. I was out of the car for a couple hours but around 30ish minutes in the car again it shut down.

I drive from Baltimore to Quantico, about an hour drive, a few times a week and haven't seen this until the weather started warming up. I use it when I drive for traffic all the time too.

I just installed a battery temp monitor and on my next trip I'm going to watch it to see what happens. I've left the gps unit on in my house while charging and it's been fine for the last 2 hours. So it has to be the damn sun.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  12. amberstang

amberstang New Member

Noticed this today driving for 4 hours with GPS and Maps running. Phone was plugged into charger and became very hot to the touch. The phone was in the car dock on the dashboard. It was sunny. Also, Droid turned itself off and restarted 3 times. Did not get as hot when not connected to charger. After battery drained completely from using phone when not plugged into charger, I replugged it into the charger. It did not charge despite being plugged into car charger for over an hour. I now have it plugged into the desk dock and charging off my my laptop. The phone is cool to the touch.

Moto Droid OS 2.1. update 1
  13. rjax

rjax New Member

I don't drive all that often, so I'll definitely be interested to hear those battery temp results. I assume you'll find a temperature that consistently maps to charging shutting down.

I might be maxing out the AC next time I need Nav for an extended period of time... if would even make much of a difference.
  14. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

15. rjax

rjax New Member

16. rusray

rusray New Member

my phone did this on a two hour car trip. I had forgotten my car gps, so defaulted to my droid. after an hour I took it off my dash (currently using a generic dash mount and car charger) to get a closer look at the map and damn near burned my hand. it was HOT and not charging at all

I unplugged my phone and put it on my ac vent, lol. the rest of the trip I just alternated plugging and cooling.
    obviously using 3G and gps the phone is going to heat a little, add in the sunlight filtering in and the battery heating due to charging and it seems problematic.

I'm wondering if a charger that charges slower would help?
  17. must_i_register

must_i_register New Member

I have gone on a 450 mile road-trip with the Droid as my nav & ran it with an aftermarket charger (one of the retractable ones) and noticed that the Droid was warm but not fully charging. It was 40ish out and this was odd. Plugged it in with the real charger and it charged right up while still running the nav with photo overlay.

I have the Motorola cradle mounted up by the rear view mirror and behind a tint strip. The Droid is not in full sun. I find this works better for line of sight and for not getting the Droid screen washed out by the bright sun here in South Florida. Have not experienced it get hot and shutting down but believe this is due to it being kept from direct sun exposure.
  18. Dxun

Dxun New Member

Well i just bought a Vent Mount from Best Buy for 20 Bux and tested it here in the AZ sun. Right now its 85 degrees out and with GPS and Slacker Radio running it stayed at about 90 degrees F. Im rooted and overclocked, but when plugged into charger i run at 550mhz.

Going to Vegas Tuesday so i'll really get to test if the AC vent keeps this thing cool enough to run down the road with. So far after 1 hour of testing im happy with the turnout.
  19. must_i_register

must_i_register New Member

I've never liked the vent mounts - it is too hot down here (about 60 miles from Cuba) to have the AC partially blocked. Was always afraid they would break the vents too. Good luck with your trip - hopefully it'll work for you.

BTW, am totally stock - no root, just factory settings.
  20. pilot25

pilot25 New Member

What chargers are you guys using? I bought the OEM Moto charger and after a while it stopped charging the phone. It lights up blue but when I stick it in phone the charger turns off. I thought maybe I blew it out by plugging in the phone first then starting the car up. It worked for 3 months fine then just stopped charging yet still lighting up when not plugged into the phone.

I bought a rocketfish Best Buy one and it charges fine. Doesn't say rapid charger on it and appears to charge at the same pace as the OEM model. I think this might be a contributing factor. The plot is thickening here.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
Search tags for this page
best solution htc rezound overheats car dock gps
droid x overheating in car dock
how to keep phone from overheating in car mount
how to reset my overheated quanico phone

how to reset my quantico phone after it overheats

motorola quantico overheated

motorola quantico overheating

phone car mount overheating sun prevent
phone car mounts overheating issues
s4 overheating multimedia dock