Car chargers

ihaveworms

Reaction score
I was looking on monoprice at a this car charger:
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

On the specs, it has the following:
output voltage 5DC - 5%
max output current 1000mA (1A)

That AC charger that came with my droid outputs at 5.1 volts and 850mA. I am wondering if this car charger is going to output too much current. I have a hard time paying $30 for a verizon car charger.

Also, are there any good 3rd party car mounts for the droid that are not crap.

m42duster

Reaction score
It will work. Your device will draw no more than 850 mA. Even though the the adapter will supply a 1000mA, it will not force more amperage than the device consumes. The voltage is also within range. Since it's from China, I would verify output voltage with a DIMM.

I use mounts from this site:

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. > Products > Cell Phone Mounts

Last edited:

crspang

Reaction score
I was looking on monoprice at a this car charger:
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

On the specs, it has the following:
output voltage 5DC - 5%
max output current 1000mA (1A)

That AC charger that came with my droid outputs at 5.1 volts and 850mA. I am wondering if this car charger is going to output too much current. I have a hard time paying $30 for a verizon car charger.

Also, are there any good 3rd party car mounts for the droid that are not crap.

This may work better for you.
Amazon.com: Accessory Power FlexSmart Car Mount System for MOTOROLA DROID SmartPhones - Cutting Edge FM Transmitter and Charger with DC Surge Protection and Stabilized Flex-Neck: Electronics

surfscottydog

Reaction score
I just noticed that my Prius has a USB port in it and if I plug the Droid into my Prius, it charges.

asmallchild

Reaction score
I wish my car had a USB port. I went ahead and bought the dual charger from Verizon. It plugs into the wall and plugs into my cigarette lighter. Not bad.

I've got a collection of BlackBerry microUSB plugs (yes, I know not to touch my phone while they are plugged into that), a USB to microUSB connector for my old Storm, and of course the charging unit that came with the Droid.

That should be sufficient :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've got a collection of BlackBerry microUSB plugs

I use the BB car chargers all the time, never a problem...I even use them while they are charging....

spiderwebil

Reaction score
car charger for droid x

I recently purchased a cheap charger from cellphoneshop.com. After using the charger one time for my droid x the phone crashed and I was unable to connect to the internet. I'm wondering if the charger could have caused the problem. I was given a new phone, but hesitate to to us the charger again for fear that it will happen again. Any advice concerning the safety of car chargers?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish my car had a USB port.
I don't. USB charging is 500mA (trickle charge).

I recently purchased a cheap charger from cellphoneshop.com. After using the charger one time for my droid x the phone crashed and I was unable to connect to the internet. I'm wondering if the charger could have caused the problem.
Anything's possible but that sounds coincidental rather than causal.

wow so cheap! thanks!
The real deal is pretty cheap too:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SPN5400-Rapid-Vehicle-Adapter/dp/B002N8HG0Y/ref=pd_cp_cps_3

How many mA does the other one supply? The page didn't seem to specify and I wasn't about to wade through reviews to see if anyone mentioned.

Last edited:

SeeEss

Reaction score
(yes, I know not to touch my phone while they are plugged into that),

What do you mean? I have a Motorola car charger I bought at Verizon. I used it for my Blackberry and now use it for my Droid Incredible. What do you mean, KNOW NOT TO TOUCH IT? I have never heard of this. Is there something I should know?? :icon_eek: