Car charger

jfguerra

Reaction score
I have a car charger for my Nexus Prime (micro USB charger). It's worked fine since I got it in December of 2012. Now it's no longer charging but it's because there is something wrong with the connection with the phone. I know this because when it's charging the indicator on the charger goes red and when it's not, it goes green. Now it's green all the time and if I move the connection a bit on the phone the light will go red but if I lay it down it goes back to green.

I had a similar problem with my old phone (a Blackberry with its own car charger).

Is this a known problem or I am just unlucky?

By the way, I haven not dropped the charger, the home charger works well as does another USB cable that I use to charge my phone from the laptop.

Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like the charger just stopped working. Doesn't seem like its your nexus

If its a cheap generic one they don't last long from my experience. Check out the moto rapid car charger, had it for over a year and still works great

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
J

jfguerra

Reaction score
Thanks dezymond! I'll check it out.

If its a cheap generic one they don't last long from my experience. Check out the moto rapid car charger, had it for over a year and still works great

OP
J

jfguerra

Reaction score
Is this the one? I found several but this one was the first one that popped up.

Motorola P617 Rapid Dual USB Car Charger with Micro USB Data Cable - Amazon.com: Motorola P617 Rapid Dual USB Car Charger with Micro USB Data Cable - Bulk Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks again!

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

Natey2

Reaction score
Amazing how Amazon manages to sell it (SPN5400A) at $6 when Motorola charges $30 for the P513 (assuming they are the identical).

I got it from Amazon a while back too.
I notice another on Amazon that looks identical, but without the "A" suffix to the model number. Wonder what the difference is...

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
To elaborate on what sbenson said I believe it charges in AC mode instead of USB mode, like most car chargers.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm not positive, but I think anything under 850 mA will charge as USB. My Samsung car charger is 850 and it still charges in AC mode.
Yeah I wasn't aware of the numbers, but from all the chargers I've been through, this is the only one that charges in AC mode