Car charger

kilton

Reaction score
Anyone seen any car chargers for GNex yet? Are there chargers for older Samsung phones that will work?

Thanks!

pilot25

Reaction score
Any micro usb car charger will do.

I have several 1 amp chargers that came with my jawbones that don't work with the Nexus or Droid X.

You need something with more than 1 amp. How much more, I don't know.

Htown315

Reaction score
Maybe its something with the jawbone chargers? Any charger I've owned(brand name and bootleg) have charged every phone I've owned. It is 1amp you want tho, 2.1amp is too hot for a phone battery(or so I've read on xda).Some USB style chargers will only charge in USB mode which is 500ma. Shorting out pins 2 and 3 fix this and send it into AC mode (1a).

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
The car charger for my D1 works fine. Not sure what the amperage difference is, if its lower it will just charge slower. But never the less it does work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Lord PSIon

Reaction score
I have used my iGo car charger without issue. The nice thing about the iGo is the interchangeable tips, so one charger basically fits all if you bought the corresponding tip.

roadrash

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and bought the Verizon brand universal charger with extra USB port. Was concerned because nowhere on the package or device does it say anything about how many amps it tolerates. It was able to charge up my phone while running navigation, using Glympse, left the screen on, and did data speed tests. I also plugged in my iPad 2 into the extra port and that charged up as well. I'm pretty much sold on it. Not gonna bother trying to find a cheaper one.

Also, I tried out their dual USB car charger too... only charges in USB mode. Not enough juice. Its going back. That's fine. Looks like micro USB is going to be a standard for awhile so hopefully this charger is good for a number of years to come.

ResMJM

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and bought the Verizon brand universal charger with extra USB port. Was concerned because nowhere on the package or device does it say anything about how many amps it tolerates. It was able to charge up my phone while running navigation, using Glympse, left the screen on, and did data speed tests. I also plugged in my iPad 2 into the extra port and that charged up as well. I'm pretty much sold on it. Not gonna bother trying to find a cheaper one.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about buying the VZW charger

martytoo

Reaction score
Got the Sammy charger on Amazon by Amazon for $6

Can you link to Amazon? There are so many "Samsung" Chargers that I don't know which one you bought. I am having trouble using my old generic chargers with the new Nexus. I had used them without trouble with my Droid1.

Somnambulist

Reaction score

Also, I tried out their dual USB car charger too... only charges in USB mode. Not enough juice. Its going back. That's fine. Looks like micro USB is going to be a standard for awhile so hopefully this charger is good for a number of years to come.

Same here. My old car charger kicked the bucket, so I used my 25% discount on accessories and bought the Verizon charger. Works well and I can charge something else too without having to use an outlet splitter.

pilot25

Reaction score