car charger safety?

rackleff

Reaction score
I was warned by Verizon not to buy a droid car charger ($3.99, instead of Verizon's for $29.99)) on the internet because it could disable the phone if it was defective. I saw an ad on the website for this forum offering Motorola droid car chargers (also $3.99), which I thought would be safe, but when it came it's made by grabit and doesn't say Motorola on it. Is it safe? Am I risking my Droid by saving a few bucks?

alm0614

Reaction score
i use an old LG enV2 charger and it works fine.. i dont think any charger would permanently disable the phone, maybe render it useless while its plugged in

Reaction score
i picked up a motorola charger. yes, motorola, with the logo, and blue light and everything, for like $5 on amazon. Just do that. I too am leary of the off-brand chargers because people here have reported strange problems when they use them.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Honestly stick with factory Verizon or Moto chargers. There have been way too many wacky problems with the Droid when using some off brand generic.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that branding will guarantee you anything. I recall seeing people posting about issues with Verizon-branded chargers.

OP
R

rackleff

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I just ordered a Motorola brand charger on Amazon for $7.14 including shipping. Seems that's the safest way to go.

OP
R

rackleff

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I went with a Motorola charger from Amazon for $7.14 including shipping. Seems that's the safest way to go.

MaraShylaStewart

Reaction score
Safety is very important so make sure you research the 2010 Dodge Charger safety ratings to make sure the car will keep you and your loved

jimnutt

Reaction score
This really needs to be stickied somewhere, but any charger you plug into your droid needs to meet three requirements: 1) it has to have the right plug (Duh!) 2) It needs to be able to source at least 500 ma of current and 3) It needs a regulated voltage output of 5V dc +/- 0.25Vdc

As long as those three requirements are met, the charger will work fine with the droid. It's the third requirement that many cheap chargers don't meet, the voltages on them can vary widely and that has the potential of damaging your phone (not to mention making it behave in strange and mysterious ways).

OP
R

rackleff

Reaction score
How do I know if the charger meets those requirements?

tacomasurfer

Reaction score
So what if I got a charger that states this:

"Intelligent IC chip recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit."?

cuskit

Reaction score
I bought an OEM case/holster off of eBay For Motorola Droid A855/ OEM Verizon Belt Holster Case - eBay (item 150400532939 end time May-25-10 20:07:42 PDT)

These guys were great! I had a small issue, which they immediately addressed and sent me FREE an OEM Motorola Charger for my troubles!! It arrived one day later! They sell it for only $6.99, and it's the exact same (label and all) that I bought with my Droid at the VZW store! Believe me, VZW has a very comfortable markup on these!

This eBay seller is moving tons of these, and his feedback is stellar. I'm not affiliated with them other than buying the case/holster as I stated. :) mikey