Can't wait to join the club

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I have 13 more days before I can upgrade. I've been reading the forums and watching youtube videos and I really can't wait to get my hands on this phone. April 15th can't get here soon enough!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 13 more days before I can upgrade. I've been reading the forums and watching youtube videos and I really can't wait to get my hands on this phone. April 15th can't get here soon enough!

:welcome: to the Droid Forum. Try giving Verizon a call. Tell them just what you told us. See if they won't play ball with you. I had like 8 months on my contract and they let me upgrade.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome aboard.

I'd do what Hook suggested. 13 days they just may let you do it.

Enjoy the forums and we can't wait to assimilate you into the Droid world : )

OP
gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I called *611 from my phone and they said it wouldn't be a problem at all. She just told me to wait an hour and then check in the system to see that the date changed. As soon as I see the new date I'm off to Costco to get the Droid (Costco only charges 100 vs. 200 in the 'Verizon stores).

Thanks again!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome, gatecitycanes! Great that you were able to get the early upgrade! Hope you've had lots of sleep because you won't be getting any tonight! Too much to play with once you get your hands on that Droid! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! Hope you enjoy your time here! Here's a couple of things that might help you out...

Full user guide from Motorola: DROID User Guide.pdf

And a great thread on app recommendations: Forget the top 5, list ALL of your apps

ENJOY! :welcome:

Last edited:
OP
gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
Thanks to you guys, I woke up this morning without a Droid but I will be going to bed tonight with one!

I have to admit I was a bit sad putting the old Blackberry in the drawer, but it served me well and now it's on to bigger and better things.

Chilazr

Reaction score
As soon as I see the new date I'm off to Costco to get the Droid (Costco only charges 100 vs. 200 in the 'Verizon stores).

I don't know if this is actually off topic, but you might want to double check all that. In AZ, Costco is a LICENSED Verizon store, as opposed to a CORPORATE store. So the contracts that they, and other stores (Walmart, Target, etc) are contracts through them and not through Verizon itself. That also means that your new every 2 plan is null with VZW, since your contract is now through Costco who has a contract with Verizon to sell their phones. That's how I was told it works by a VZW rep. It may be different in other states, heck it may be different since the time I was told (about 4 years ago).
Not trying to be a downer, obviously, I just don't want you to get taken for a ride you didn't want. Hope it works out for ya! Droids are awesome! :motdroidvert:

OP
gatecitycanes

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
As soon as I see the new date I'm off to Costco to get the Droid (Costco only charges 100 vs. 200 in the 'Verizon stores).

I don't know if this is actually off topic, but you might want to double check all that. In AZ, Costco is a LICENSED Verizon store, as opposed to a CORPORATE store. So the contracts that they, and other stores (Walmart, Target, etc) are contracts through them and not through Verizon itself. That also means that your new every 2 plan is null with VZW, since your contract is now through Costco who has a contract with Verizon to sell their phones. That's how I was told it works by a VZW rep. It may be different in other states, heck it may be different since the time I was told (about 4 years ago).
Not trying to be a downer, obviously, I just don't want you to get taken for a ride you didn't want. Hope it works out for ya! Droids are awesome! :motdroidvert:

I wound up buying it through Best Buy anyway. Costco went back up on theirs to 150 so I went to BB and get it for 130. Hey, 20 bucks is 20 bucks.

As far as contracts go, I can't imagine it's anymore draconian than VZW. The phone I had before my BB was purchased through a retailer and when I bought my BB from a corporate store and it wasn't any problem.

It was funny, the guy tried selling me some of their overpriced accessories. I was polite, but I told him that I learned a long time ago not to buy that stuff from retail stores. We had a pretty nice chat about the places to get that stuff online.

I'm just scratching the surface of the learning curve. It's going to be a long night :)

Chilazr

Reaction score
Lots of great info on here to help you out. These things are beasts and are definitely my favorite toy. Welcome aboard!