Can't use Droid as Bluetooth Tether?

truckbutt

Reaction score
I am trying to use my Droid as a cellular modem for my laptop via Bluetooth. My Droid is recognized on my laptop as a Bluetooth device. The only options I am given are to play audio files from my phone on my laptop and vice versa. How do I get my phone to work as a modem? Thanks in advance.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
If you are rooted you can use an app like easyteather (uses your data/charging cable to connect to your PC) or wireless tether (start the app, touch the screen to start tethering then connect through your wireless program on your computer). I don't know of any apps for unrooted phones.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
If you are rooted you can use an app like easyteather (uses your data/charging cable to connect to your PC) or wireless tether (start the app, touch the screen to start tethering then connect through your wireless program on your computer). I don't know of any apps for unrooted phones.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
I'm not rooted, so I guess I'm scr***d.
Thanks,
Scott

zuckerj

Reaction score
Actually, to use Easy Tether you DO NOT have to have a rooted phone. You can download it for free and use the limited version, or pay s10 and get the unlimited version.

Fyi, when I was using Easy Tether, before rooting my phone,.I didn't notice any limitation. Worked great for me, and I could even access https sites, which it said I shouldn't be able to do with the Free version. But it may have a timeout for full functionality in the Free version. But 10 dollars ain't bad if you don't want to root your phone and you don't need wireless tether.

Good luck,

Jz

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

zuckerj

Reaction score
I think you are all missing the part where I said, "I was using Easy Tether with an un rooted 2.2".

It was on Droid X.

And if you read the desc of the app, it says, "No root access needed."

Good luck

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

tkoehler

Reaction score
I have an unrooted droid1 that uses the Easy Tether app....i have no problems using it at all...and i am still using the free version...havent paid for the upgraded version yet...