Can't update to 2.2

debdado

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for some much needed advise.

Droid X running firmware 2.1-update 1. Had the droid rooted and renamed a few bloatware items (don't remember which ones). Then wanted to get 2.2 OTA. Did a factory reset to remove root in preparation for OTA update. Update downloads but won't install.

Here is where I want to be. I want to have a 2.2 rooted phone. How do I get there from here. I am willing to go any number of ways. Please help. I have been messing with this for two days and I just need direction. Also, I need simple directions. Thanks so much!:icon_eek:

OP
D

debdado

Reaction score
I continue to confuse myself on this one. Now I realize that despite a factory reset, I am still rooted. Is that possible? I just downloaded Titanium backup and it asked for root permission and got it. What is up with this? Yikes!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Factory reset does NOT unroot your phone. It formats the /data and /cache. The files that give you 'root' are in /system. The reason the OTA will not install is because it can't find the files you removed. A very common problem with the Droid 1 when rooted users would flat delete some unused apps instead of renaming them. Why in another thread here I advised against it.

If you renamed them, rename them back to original. Otherwise you're going to need to find someone with a rooted Droid X on 2.1 to pull the .apk files for you to push to your phone. Once you do get to 2.2, christim has a guide in the rescue squad guides section call "Multiple Phones.." and the method there works for a Droid X 2.2

good luck

OP
D

debdado

Reaction score
I believe that I only renamed them. I don't remember how I did that. What application can I use to go back and look for the renamed files? If I am able to look through the list of files and rename them, might I be good to go for the OTA 2.2? Thanks.

OP
D

debdado

Reaction score
Thank you Teddyearp. I found the files, renamed them and now I am updated to 2.2. That helped alot!!!:icon_ banana:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
No problem, glad you got it going.