Can't unroot droid x

11bravo

Reaction score
Ok im really a noob at this. I rooted my droid x and I just want to unroot it just in case I ever need to return it but everthing I have tried fails. I tried one click unrooting and terminal unrooting. Please help and thanks in advance. Also new to this forum app.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Rooyzwiki has the 2.2 sbf. Sbf is the preferred unrooting method since "for service" means replacement.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP

11bravo

Reaction score
Cool thanks bro ill go ahead and give it a try. Is there a one click root method that will work for the droid x just in case I want to reroot?

OP

11bravo

Reaction score
Ok I know this may be a dumb question but what exactly is an sbf? Can u explain in retard terms?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think SBF stands for Stock Boot File. You use a program called RSD Lite to "flash" or install it on your Motorola phone. It overwrites everything in the phone's internal memory and installs all the software that came stock on your phone. It's like returning it to fresh, out of the box newness, just with a few dents and scratches, used SD card, and battery that might not hold quite as good a charge as it did when you bought it. :)

OP

11bravo

Reaction score
Wow thanks man. I like learning about all this rooting and rom things its really interesting. Im beggining to understand alot better. I should have done more research before rooting my phone though. Will "rebooting" delete all my apps, pics, contacts, ect? ..

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Rebooting your phone will only make you log back into your messaging-type apps, really. Flashing SBF files will wipe it totally clean -- including all that pesky and private user data you probably don't want some tech or engineer to see if you have to take your phone back in anyway. ;)

bigd73

Reaction score
By "rebooting" you mean SBF'ing? If that's the case, then yes, you will lose all of your non-stock apps. I use Titanium backup, but it will require you to root your phone again in order to reinstall all of the apps backed up with it.

On a side note, you can always delete the files that make root possible with a program like Root Explorer or a Terminal Emulator. Here are the commands below for the Terminal Emulator which you can get for free from the Market, Root Explorer costs a few bucks. I've also added some of other locations where the files may be hiding, so you might get a "No such file" error, which is okay.

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system
rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/xbin/busybox
rm /system/xbin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox
rm /system/bin/su
reboot
If the "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/system /system" command doesn't work for you...
Try "mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system"

For Root Explorer:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open system folder
3. Press the Mount R/W button at the top of the window
4. Open app folder
5. Long press on Superuser.apk and select Delete from the pop-up menu.
6. Press the back arrow.
7. Open bin folder
8. Long press on busybox and select Delete from the pop-up menu.
9. Long press on su and select Delete from the pop-up menu.
*If su and busybox are not in the bin folder repeat steps 8 and 9 under the xbin folder.
10. Press the Mount R/O button at the top of the Window.
11. Reboot the phone.

Any questions or problems, just repost here!

Last edited:
OP

11bravo

Reaction score
Man I love this forum! And its only my first day on it. Thanks guys. I have tried the terminal emulator before and like u said it told me "not found". But the commands I put in were a little different than the ones here. What should I do if it tells me "not found" again with terminal emulator?

bigd73

Reaction score
Give it a shot with commands I posted above and post any error messages you get. If you are still rooted, you'll know it by typing su in the Terminal Window and it accepting the command.

OP

11bravo

Reaction score
With terminal explorer it says em failed after I type in em/ system/xbin/busybox. Should I go ahead and purchase root explorer?... if I do will that method unroot my phone for sure or is there another way to us terminal emulator? Sorry for the trouble bro and thanks!

OP

11bravo

Reaction score
Yeah typo my bad.. I meant rm. Freakin droid always tryin to pedict what I wana write. What is busybox? Like I said im a noob :) is it also because I might not have xbin?