1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Can't take the home screen redraws anymore

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by dlnp22, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dlnp22

dlnp22 New Member

I've been sold out for BB for the last 3 months since I rooted. I doubt this issue is bugless related, but ever since Froyo, I'm redrawing like a mother.

Redrawing with the launcher that comes with v.4 as well as with launcher pro(which I LOVED with previous BB versions, until now).

I've tried all the settings. No crazy setups...about 3 screens filled with apps, maybe 3 widgets total. No idea what the problem is.

Is anybody else having these annoying ass redraw issues? Do other ROMS's have this problem?

-frustrated
  2. dparm

dparm New Member

None at all. Have you tried a fresh install?
  3. SDC_Bolts

SDC_Bolts New Member

I have the problem with .4 and ADW, just thought it was ADW, but only happens a few times a day for me.
  4. nyijedi

nyijedi New Member

I was having CONSTANT redraws with BB 0.4 and launcher pro and ADW. I switched to CM6 and everything has been running GREAT. The tons of extra options in CM are also great.
  5. captdroid

captdroid New Member

If you like CM give Sapphire a try! Really polished product the Sapphire devs have going. BB 0.4 is my standby.
  6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

What's a redraw?
  7. droiddadi

droiddadi New Member

After setting "Keep in Memory" option with launcher Pro I don't have any redraw issues.

Btw I am running BB V0.4
  8. dlnp22

dlnp22 New Member

didn't help me at all.
  9. g8gt2012

g8gt2012 New Member

Second that question.
  10. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

a redraw is when you go back to your homescreens they are completely blank, and you have to wait 15 or so seconds for the icons and widgets to come back
  11. nphil

nphil New Member

This is what happens when ROM makers mess with the minfree file to "boost performance".

Your launcher redraws everytime because the OS is terminating its process. When you come out of an app and press the home key, the launcher has to restart and load all the widgets/icons again and this causes the lag you experience.

I'm guessing your ROM has very low memory thresholds, which means the OS will recklessly kill background apps/services. Also the GC will constantly try to free/reclaim memory, which causes the occasional 100% CPU usage spikes that some people notice. Not ideal when you have a lot of apps installed like me.

What you can do is download Autokiller and reset the minfree values to default and apply. This SHOULD solve your problems, or you can always edit the minfree file yourself manually and avoid the hassle of downloading the app and running it every time you reboot.

As an alternative, try the latest CM 6, set the VM heapsize to 32 MB, download launcherpro and make that your default launcher. Then on launcherpro memory settings>homescreen cache type>compressed cache. Also tick the keep in memory option in general settings. You'll never see a redraw again, even using autokiller.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  12. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

Minfree manager has an option to set on boot. I've been having horrible redraws myself (anyone who's using 0.4 and says they're not is either lying or just hasn't noticed). I will try the default option in minfree manager.
  13. Smeech

Smeech New Member

I did a fresh install, and installed Launcherpro v 0.4.4

Sure it's an older version but it's got customizable dock shortcuts, so I'm good. If there's a redraw, it takes no more than a second--real quick. No longer a bother.
  14. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Just edit your min free settings located in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (that's why they are there rather than in the ramdisk)
  15. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I too have been having this issue. I've used Root Explorer to navigate to where Pete says the memory can be adjusted. Due to my lack of programming experience I don't know what to change.

But I think it has to do with the value 50 towards the bottom of the file. Can anybody confirm this?
  16. chomorro

chomorro New Member

I have this problem as well. I am going to try the keep in memory and compressed cache settings, maybe that will help. What memory usage settings do you guy use?
  17. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I don't believe that I'm familiar with the keep in memory option. From what Pete says, we can avoid this by going into the file he listed above and adjusting the value ourselves. But after reviewing the file, I see commands like "busybox kill google applications" in there, that make me think we can have the phone not kill the homescreen all together rather than just lower the "minfree" value for how much memory must be kept at all times.
  18. chomorro

chomorro New Member

Well been testing for a few minutes and this helped a lot, my redraws seem to have lessened..... More time will tell.

These settings are in Launcher Pro, since thats what i use.

Keep in memory is checked
    memory cache is set to compressed
    memory usage preset is set to moderate.

Edit just realized using memory presets changes the settings lol
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  19. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Is launcher pro better than using the stock homescreen? If so, then can you briefly explain why? I'm always out to add new apps to my phone. Some would argue that 89 apps according to Titanium backup is way too many.
  20. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

I'm not reading through all those posts so if this has been said you can just ignore it, but the reason why this is happening is because Google changed the way apps operate in Froyo. So home replacement apps are going to have to relaunch everytime it's not in use for a while.