Can't take the home screen redraws anymore

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by dlnp22, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dlnp22

dlnp22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been sold out for BB for the last 3 months since I rooted. I doubt this issue is bugless related, but ever since Froyo, I'm redrawing like a mother.

Redrawing with the launcher that comes with v.4 as well as with launcher pro(which I LOVED with previous BB versions, until now).

I've tried all the settings. No crazy setups...about 3 screens filled with apps, maybe 3 widgets total. No idea what the problem is.

Is anybody else having these annoying ass redraw issues? Do other ROMS's have this problem?

-frustrated

2. dparm

dparm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    None at all. Have you tried a fresh install?

3. SDC_Bolts

SDC_Bolts Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the problem with .4 and ADW, just thought it was ADW, but only happens a few times a day for me.

4. nyijedi

nyijedi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was having CONSTANT redraws with BB 0.4 and launcher pro and ADW. I switched to CM6 and everything has been running GREAT. The tons of extra options in CM are also great.

5. captdroid

captdroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17
    If you like CM give Sapphire a try! Really polished product the Sapphire devs have going. BB 0.4 is my standby.

6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What's a redraw?

7. droiddadi

droiddadi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After setting "Keep in Memory" option with launcher Pro I don't have any redraw issues.

Btw I am running BB V0.4

8. dlnp22

dlnp22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    didn't help me at all.

9. g8gt2012

g8gt2012 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Second that question.

10. alm0614

alm0614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    a redraw is when you go back to your homescreens they are completely blank, and you have to wait 15 or so seconds for the icons and widgets to come back

11. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is what happens when ROM makers mess with the minfree file to "boost performance".

Your launcher redraws everytime because the OS is terminating its process. When you come out of an app and press the home key, the launcher has to restart and load all the widgets/icons again and this causes the lag you experience.

I'm guessing your ROM has very low memory thresholds, which means the OS will recklessly kill background apps/services. Also the GC will constantly try to free/reclaim memory, which causes the occasional 100% CPU usage spikes that some people notice. Not ideal when you have a lot of apps installed like me.

What you can do is download Autokiller and reset the minfree values to default and apply. This SHOULD solve your problems, or you can always edit the minfree file yourself manually and avoid the hassle of downloading the app and running it every time you reboot.

As an alternative, try the latest CM 6, set the VM heapsize to 32 MB, download launcherpro and make that your default launcher. Then on launcherpro memory settings>homescreen cache type>compressed cache. Also tick the keep in memory option in general settings. You'll never see a redraw again, even using autokiller.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  12. velocity92c

velocity92c Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Minfree manager has an option to set on boot. I've been having horrible redraws myself (anyone who's using 0.4 and says they're not is either lying or just hasn't noticed). I will try the default option in minfree manager.

13. Smeech

Smeech Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I did a fresh install, and installed Launcherpro v 0.4.4

Sure it's an older version but it's got customizable dock shortcuts, so I'm good. If there's a redraw, it takes no more than a second--real quick. No longer a bother.

14. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Just edit your min free settings located in /system/etc/install-recovery.sh (that's why they are there rather than in the ramdisk)

15. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too have been having this issue. I've used Root Explorer to navigate to where Pete says the memory can be adjusted. Due to my lack of programming experience I don't know what to change.

But I think it has to do with the value 50 towards the bottom of the file. Can anybody confirm this?