Can't send / receive MMS

Yinzer

Reaction score
Hi everyone -- just picked up the RAZR last week. Love it. Came from an Eris, so the jump was pretty large. Skype on the go...amazing.

Anyway, the first day I had the phone, no issues sending / receiving MMS. Then one of two things happened. First, the OTA update. Second, I downloaded a widget that would allow me to turn off the data from a main screen. I'm not sure if either of those caused the following problem. I can no longer send or receive MMS, with any messaging app. Native, handcent, whatever. It just spins and spins.

Now...the data widget took me to some screen that had many settings on it, mainly related to data network. APN settings, too. I don't recall changing anything.But who knows. I removed the app, as it wasn't what I was looking for. I haven't been able to locate it again or the data connection screens with all of those options.

Spent an hour + on the phone with a Verizon tech. Nice enough, but ended up suggesting a factory reset. I didn't want to go through that, given ICS will be out eventually and would probably solve this issue. Not being able to send pics through MMS isn't a huge deal. Just annoying. I'd rather keep the phone as is, for the time being. But...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

SallyC

Reaction score
I'm not the most knowledgeable about this type of thing so maybe someone else will advise differently, but I would do the reset. If you've only had it a week any data backup shouldn't be huge and ICS isn't coming for a while. Plus I don't think that would fix it anyway.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Mms won't send unless you have 3g or 4b.c. It could be that your toggle has it turned off. Check any toggles to make sure mobile networks-data is turned on. Or in settings go to wireless & networks, go to the bottom and select mobile networks, select network mode and select either one (one is for 3g only which is useful if you are not in a 4g area and the other is for both 3g and 4g). Hope this does the trick for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
Good advice, TisMyDroid. I assumed that CS went through the settings with them, but assuming is sometimes not the best policy. :rolleyes:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Good advice, TisMyDroid. I assumed that CS went through the settings with them, but assuming is sometimes not the best policy. :rolleyes:

Hi Sally, it is always so hard to know for sure. The only reason I thought of that is because when I had my Droid charge, I had the same problem for a very long time not realizing that mms could only be sent when on data and not realizing that my Droid charge automatically disabled data when on wifi. The Razr doesn't automatically disable data unless you have a toggle or have it set up in smart actions so it may not be the cause but it was worth a try.

OP
Y

Yinzer

Reaction score
Yeah, we checked all the settings. Data is on, wifi off, when I'm attempting this. Strange. But, a minor issue. I send / receive just a few pictures through MMS a week. I'm going to let good enough alone, for the moment. Reset as a last resort. Maybe I'll come across a fix.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yeah, we checked all the settings. Data is on, wifi off, when I'm attempting this. Strange. But, a minor issue. I send / receive just a few pictures through MMS a week. I'm going to let good enough alone, for the moment. Reset as a last resort. Maybe I'll come across a fix.

Try a hard reset by holding both the volume down button and the power button for about 10 seconds until it turns off by itself. That may give you the fix your looking for and you won't lose anything off your phone.

OP
Y

Yinzer

Reaction score
We tried that fix, too :) Also, pulling the SIM card. Nada.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yinzer, I think your next step might be to call Verizon. They will walk you through all the possible steps they can think of to fix it. They are usually pretty good at trouble shooting and they are good at taking their time. After they've tried everything else, they will go for their final two solutions... Factory rest and if that doesn't work, they will send you another phone.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Make sure you go through Verizon within your first 14 days bc if they have to replace your phone, it will be a new one not a refurbished one. And double check with them to make sure they do not plan to send you a refurbished phone.

SallyC

Reaction score
I've read other posts with this issue. Assuming the software is set correctly, the next step seems to be a reset and if that doesn't work the phone needs to be replaced.

OP
Y

Yinzer

Reaction score
Bit the bullet, backed everything up, factory rest. Took two hours to get the phone back to the way it was. Sending and receiving MMS now. Too bad there wasn't an easier solution. Oh well :) Still really enjoying the phone.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Bit the bullet, backed everything up, factory rest. Took two hours to get the phone back to the way it was. Sending and receiving MMS now. Too bad there wasn't an easier solution. Oh well :) Still really enjoying the phone.

The funny thing is (well not so funny), we all hate to do a factory reset but sometimes we end up spending more time trying to fix our problem avoiding the factory reset. I am certainly no exception. I will do everything in my power b4 resorting to a factory reset.

Another high five to you, Sally!