Can't seem to root my old phones (Droid RAZR or Droid X)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Tom_175, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Tom_175

Tom_175 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I still have two of my previous Verizon phones, a Motorola Droid X (running version 2.3.4) and a Motorola Droid RAZR (XT912 running version 4.1.2). Neither have SIM cards and I'd like to be able to use one - or both - around the house on WiFi.

I would like to upgrade one - or both - of the android versions to KitKat or newer. I know my way around electronics a bit but I'm not an expert by any means, and I've never toyed with cell phones. I've spent the last couple days searching for methods on how to upgrade to KitKat or Lollipop and I've - unsuccessfully - followed a handful of video tutorials on how to root and upgrade both phones (e.g., videos from droitrazrroot.com, and utility packages like 'DROID_RAZR_Utility_Jellybean_XT912_WinMacLin' and 'razr_blade'). The video tutorials and utility packages seem very straight forward, but every one I've tried ends up in one of several errors (e.g., "'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command" or the utility gets stuck at a point indefinitely).

Anyway, I'd just like to get KitKat or newer on one - or both - of my old phones and I'm not sure what I need to do to make that happen. I did a factory reset and then my assumption was I needed to root the phone (which I've never done before) before I could run a utility to install a newer android version. Any help would be appreciated!

Search tags for this page

droid 2 gsm card installing