Can't seem to find a kernal for wifi tethering AND overclock for rooted stock 2.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mrdorunjr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

as it says, i had stock 2.1 and rooted it simply just that, i have chevys medium voltage kernal for setcpu but i cant seem to find a wifi tether kernal to flash that is for 2.1 any help or links guys?
  2. verian

verian Guest

what rom are you using?
  3. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

im not using any rom, like i said im at a basically stocked rooted 2.1 and by stock i mean no roms etc, only added kernal was the chevys one for overclocking
  4. verian

verian Guest

How did you root 2.1 with out flashing backwards and the flashing a rom to root it? If your running stock 2.1 rooted thats not been done yet
  5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

You're using the stock ROM. You're not using a CUSTOM Rom. Now that we have some terminology straight, I use Adamz Low Voltage Kernel set at 250 to 800 Mhz and it allows Barancle (wifi tether app from the market) to function properly.

I'll poke around fo rthe lionk. Someone e,lse found it last night and posted it for another user. I'lllll beee bock (said in a temrinator voice)

Nate
  6. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

not true...you can now flash a recorvery image on to the stock 2.1 then root from there...
  7. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

yes sorry you are correct haha stock ROM is what i am using, i dont wanna use a custom one..well other then one id make myself kinda thing...anyways yea i tried barncle but i cant get any of my comps to connect to it so i just uninstalled it... i would like a kernel that allows me to just overclock to 1ghz MAX and low to 125...like the chevy kernel im currently using...
  8. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Dang, dude...would you please go read the sticky on flashing SPRecovery using RSD Lite before posting any more advice for 2.1 rooting?

Nate

edit: Sorry if that sounded rough. I was up all last night helping people unwind the messes on their phones created by people who think a 2.1 can't be rooted without going backwards. But please...do read that sticky.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  9. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

OK...here is the link to Adamz Low Voltage kernel.

http://alldroid.org/roms/motorola/droid/adamz/glass_boots/Smoked.Glass.Boot.ESE53.rom.tgz

The file is in the rom.tgz format. Place this file on the root of your SD Card. Not the "root" directory, but the lowest directory of the card.

Boot into SPRecovery by holding the X key on your physical keyboard while powering up the phone. Once in SPRecovery chose "Install". From the next menu chose "Chose from SD card". Highlight the file you just downloaded and placed in the root of the card. It will attempt a nandroid backup. Then it will ask if you want Low Voltage (all the versions of his kernels are in this file...I suggest low voltage). Next it will ask which speeds you want to install. I suggest 250 to 800 but have a ball trying them all. If you want a different speed or voltage just boot into SPRecovery again and chose different flavors each time.

After it installs it will tell you to enjoy. At that point hit the power button a few times until reboot phone is highlight and press the center of the dpad and viola...you have a speed kernel with wifi enabled. You still need an app for wifi. I use Barnacle from the market.

Nate
  10. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

will this work with my 81 base rom? and what are the overclocking levels for this?
  11. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

It works on mine. I used RSD Lite to flash SPRecovery then added Superuser.apk and Busybox to the phone using SDK Tools and temrinal emulator to modify the rights in the root directories. I never put any roms on my pohone...it is the stock OTA 2.1 update1. It is ese81.

Nate
  12. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

good to know, and u use barncle, does it work well? also for that adamz kernel what are the slots for it, like number of slots as well as what is its max and min, i think u said 800mhz-250mhz right? is there a 1gz-125mhz that also allows barncle to work? ALSO, how can i get busybox on here...i want to put it on so i can use the metamorph app...
  13. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Nate, I just installed this kernel and everything went smooth. Since I chose the speed during the install I don't need the app set CPU right?
  14. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

hey nate, would u be able to tell me how, or point me in the direction of how to install busybox onto the stock 2.1 rooted rom?
  15. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

warrior, you dont need it, but I would definitely get SetCPU. Its a valuable app especially when using the profiles.

mrdorunjr, u can either use this guide: http://forum.droidmod.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=e81e79a8231b1f3157065cc9276bc575&/topic,1004.0.html Halfway down the page is the instructions for installing busybox.

Or get Titanium Backup from the Marketplace. Its free. Ater u install it, there's a box at the bottom called 'Problems?" Hit that to install busybox. U will need a signal cuz it downloads and installs it. (I was trying like mad last week to remember what app I had that installed busybox easier.)
  16. mrdorunjr

mrdorunjr New Member

awesome i did the titanium backup one cuz i already have that installed..i guess it worked?!
  17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Easiest way to tell? (it involves another app)

Get Android Terminal Emulator. Its by Jack Palevich. Its free also. Open it. Type busybox and hit the enter key on the physical keyboard. If u see a long list of commands, u good to go.