cant see phone from laptop

kdh325

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been beat to death, i searched but couldnt find what i needed. i'm not super tech savvy but not foreign to computers either. i've got the razr HD. bought an 8gb micro sd. wanted to plug my phone into my windows xp laptop and drag some pics/music/vids to the sd card so i can see them on the phone. HOWEVER, when i hook the phone up, the laptop dings but doesnt see the phone. i drag down the menu on the phone and my only options are mtp and connect as camera (or something like that). i dont get the option to connect as mass storage device i/m familiar with from my droid x. on my laptop i was prompted to install some Motorola device manager, did that, still no change. when i connect my phone, the laptop says new device found "mtp" but apparently the drivers arent there or idk what drivers to force install. can anyone help?

this is highly frustrating and the phone is basically useless to me without the ability to drag and drop btwn the phone and computer. thanks guys

OP
K

kdh325

Reaction score
It's not showing up. i've tried a different data cable too, so thats not the issue. when i plug in the phone the lower left of my laptop screen pops up "found new hardware - MTP) then the motorola device manage icon shows up, so it knows the phone is connected. then after a few seconds, the "welcome to new hardware wizzard" pops up. asks me to eiter put in the disc with the drivers, or tell the wizzard where to find the drivers in the computer. IDK what drivers to have it look for, so i'm lost. if i hit cancel it says new hardware unable to install. looking at "my computer" or windows explorer, the phone never shows up as an optional drive. MEANWHILE, on the phone, the only to USB options are mtp and ptp, mass storage device is not an option. any ideas?

OP
K

kdh325

Reaction score
i'm running xp, that looks like 7? i've tried it on 2 separate computers. the 2nd computer saw the phones internal memory, but not the sd card. could it be the card? i just bought a generic one at walmart, turned the phone off, stuck the card in and rebooted

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been beat to death, i searched but couldnt find what i needed. i'm not super tech savvy but not foreign to computers either. i've got the razr HD. bought an 8gb micro sd. wanted to plug my phone into my windows xp laptop and drag some pics/music/vids to the sd card so i can see them on the phone. HOWEVER, when i hook the phone up, the laptop dings but doesnt see the phone. i drag down the menu on the phone and my only options are mtp and connect as camera (or something like that). i dont get the option to connect as mass storage device i/m familiar with from my droid x. on my laptop i was prompted to install some Motorola device manager, did that, still no change. when i connect my phone, the laptop says new device found "mtp" but apparently the drivers arent there or idk what drivers to force install. can anyone help?

this is highly frustrating and the phone is basically useless to me without the ability to drag and drop btwn the phone and computer. thanks guys

ImJustMeow I think didnt see what your first post stated. From what your saying, you dont see DROID RAZR HD at ALL, hence, the memory card doesnt matter what type it is, because the PC isnt recognizing the phone at all.

Personally, from what you said, between trying 2 different pcs and data cables, I would say, the problem is the phone, which would not surprise me. Save yourself the hassle, bring it to the Verizon Store, have them plug it in, see what happens.

Its possible on the other hand the OS....

But honestly if 2 pcs arent "seeing" the phone, then its most likely the phone.

RossoCorsa

Reaction score
I've seen this with my work PC which is XP (I use my RAZR HD as a camera). When you connect your HD to your PC with the USB cable, select the "connect as camera" option. It will pop up in the notification bar. After that, go to My Computer on the PC, and it should show up as a camera. Then go into the folders and copy the pictures you want to the computer. XP doesn't like the "connect as media device" mode. Also I ignored the "new hardware installed" pop ups.

I hope that helps. I do this almost everyday.

Edit: I just saw the part where you want to do the reverse of what I said... I'll try tomorrow and see if I can go from PC to phone in the same manner.

Last edited:
OP
K

kdh325

Reaction score
i'm wanting to be able to connect it as a mass storage device, but do not get that option. i see all over the net where that should be an option, but it's not. when i connect mine as a camera (ptp) i don't THINK i can drag to the micro sd on the phone. which is essentially all i want to do, drag and drop btwn my pc and the sd card.

jaseman

Reaction score
If you have Jelly Bean then Mass Storage is gone. Do what the others have suggested and you should be OK.