Cant root stock frg22d

OP
Sean

Sean

Reaction score
i guess you guys gave up on me. im screwed... lol

i have never used androot so i cant help u out there. ill let other RS members know about this and theyll get back to you. id keep trying the RSD method though bc thats the one i push to new members lol

ok... well thnx for yuor help... but nothing is working... so idk... ill try on a non win7 pc...

OP
Sean

Sean

Reaction score
After nearly pulling my hair out... i found this...tried it and RSD Lite worked! :)

----------------------------------

Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out

I was running into the same problem, with Win7 x64, RSD Lite 4.6, latest drivers. Did some investigation into the error log and looks like I found a bug in their programming. Go into the directory you installed RSD Lite (for Win7 x64 the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\) and look for a file that starts with "FlashErrorLog". Open it, and if you see something like this:

Code:
Line: 865
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwtƒyoþÿÿÿ‚qawñrawðiµ was not found.
File: X:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\PST_FP_FlashFileIO.cpp
then you are experiencing this same bug that I had (looks like adr3nalin3 had this problem too). For those fellow programmers out there, looks like they are copying the filename into uninitialized memory and not explicitly adding the NULL terminator, meaning it's pure luck whether the filename is recognized or not. Since the uninitialized memory produces random results, this explains why people have had it work after restarting their computer, trying several times, using a different computer, etc. Hopefully if you follow my instructions below, you will be able to make it work right away.

So the work around for this problem is to rename the file so that the real filename overwrites all the unwanted junk characters at the end. These junk characters are random, and they are likely to change each time you open RSD Lite.

Here are step by step instructions:
Go to the folder where you installed RSD Lite
Delete any files that start with "FlashErrorLog"
Right click on "SDL.exe" and click "Run As Administrator"
Move your recovery file to the root C:\ directory
Rename the recovery file to something short, like "r.sbf", so that you will have space left for the filename to overwrite the junk characters
Try flashing the file with RSD Lite - it will most likely fail, don't worry (if it works then good job, you are lucky )
In the RSD Lite folder, open the newly created FlashErrorLog... file
Count the number of junk characters after the real filename - for example if you have this error:

Code:
ERROR: \\?\c:\r.sbfqawñraï was not found.
then the junk characters are "qawñraï" and there are 7 of them, so we are going to add 7 extra letters to the real filename
Rename the file to add the same number of letters/numbers as junk characters in the log file. In this case, we need to add 7, so change the filename to something like "r1234567.sbf" - make sure you add the characters BEFORE the file extension (".sbf"), not after!
Point RSD Lite to the renamed file, click Start, and it should work!
Note that some of the junk characters can't be displayed in the log, so there might actually be 8 of them when you can only see 7, etc. Just repeat the process from step 6, adding 1 character at a time (don't remove any), and it should work after a few tries.

Note that just making the filename really long won't work, you need to be precise so that you only overwrite the extra stuff, nothing more and nothing less.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Wait a second -- are you saying the flash failed on your phone because RSD Lite couldn't find the file until you moved it? That's been a known issue for some non-XP systems for a long time now. We don't know why, but that's the way it seems to (not) work for some people. In many threads I've run into the fix was to put it on the root of your C: drive. I think maybe we need to update the guides again.

REALLY glad you got it working! :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes im happy to see you found that. Win7 has a lot of issues when people use RSD so glad to see you figured it out

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have windows 7

homer_facepalm.jpg

This has to be the ultimate face palm.dancedroid

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Now this one has me wondering:

After nearly pulling my hair out... i found this...tried it and RSD Lite worked! :)

Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out

I was running into the same problem, with Win7 x64, RSD Lite 4.6, latest drivers. Did some investigation into the error log and looks like I found a bug in their programming. Go into the directory you installed RSD Lite (for Win7 x64 the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\) and look for a file that starts with "FlashErrorLog". Open it, and if you see something like this:

Code:
<snip>
Did the OP actually fix the problem and successfully root said stock FRG22D? And if so was it because of the spurious characters as found in the "FlashErrorLog" file and then using the method as in the rest of the post? Because I 'think' that MotoCache1's thread (#3 in abe's sig) is at least 98% foolproof. I ask because of the bolded part of my quote above, wondering if that was in fact the file that the OP was trying to use on FRG22D.

Wondering and musing . . . . .

OP
Sean

Sean

Reaction score
Now this one has me wondering:

Code:
<snip>
Did the OP actually fix the problem and successfully root said stock FRG22D? And if so was it because of the spurious characters as found in the "FlashErrorLog" file and then using the method as in the rest of the post? Because I 'think' that MotoCache1's thread (#3 in abe's sig) is at least 98% foolproof. I ask because of the bolded part of my quote above, wondering if that was in fact the file that the OP was trying to use on FRG22D.

Wondering and musing . . . . .

My RSD Lite was giving me issues... and the above process, though it seems silly, helped me to get it working...

and yes... i did successfully install a rooted custom rom that isusing the FRG22D build...

first i used the method above to flash ESE81 and then rooted and installed Ultimate Droid 8.0 (UD8.0), and themed with NexTANG for 8.0 both of which can be found at BlackdroidMod

UD8.0 is awesome! i'm glad i was able to get rooted again!! :)

Here are some images:

1zwnl2o.jpg

4k7g4g.jpg

2hzthmr.jpg

2uq0yo3.jpg

343n7gi.jpg

Last edited:

dsrock

Reaction score
I have a similar problem rooting my Droid 1. BootLoader is 2c.7c from XP SP2. Running FRG22D OTA.
Messages I get:
after loading SBF file: Platform is not defined for CDMA_Type-OMAP_Chipset.
After hitting Start: Failed Flashing Process. Failed Flashing Process. Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file. (0x7029): Phone Conected.

jrmdroid

Reaction score
I have a similar problem rooting my Droid 1. BootLoader is 2c.7c from XP SP2. Running FRG22D OTA.
Messages I get:
after loading SBF file: Platform is not defined for CDMA_Type-OMAP_Chipset.
After hitting Start: Failed Flashing Process. Failed Flashing Process. Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file. (0x7029): Phone Conected.

Are you using RSDLite 4.6? I read on another thread, post #15 of this same issue where someone installed RSDLite 4.6 and it fixed their issue.

Also, are you following on how to root your droid with any os guide from MoroCashe1? He has put together a great guide and very easy to follow and in minutes your droid will be rooted.

good luck....

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Omg Sean you saved my ass! I tried flashing the refurbished Droid I got yesterday, and I ran into the EXACT same problem as you. I renamed the file, moved it to the C drive, everything! Luckily I did a search of the error I was getting, and it got me to this topic of yours. I did everything you suggested, added the amount of junk characters in the error file and it worked! I'm surprised to see that you're the only other person I've run into with this problem. Maybe other people gave up without searching.

Thanks!

OP
Sean

Sean

Reaction score
Omg Sean you saved my ass! I tried flashing the refurbished Droid I got yesterday, and I ran into the EXACT same problem as you. I renamed the file, moved it to the C drive, everything! Luckily I did a search of the error I was getting, and it got me to this topic of yours. I did everything you suggested, added the amount of junk characters in the error file and it worked! I'm surprised to see that you're the only other person I've run into with this problem. Maybe other people gave up without searching.

Thanks!

no problem dude! apparently others had problems as well, and after frantically searching i found that info... i was surprised that it worked, and figured i'd share it here, considering how long it took me to find a solution.. i wouldnt want anyone to have to stress out for as long as i did... lol

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Yeah it was weird because like you, I had done this before a few month ago and didn't run into any sort of problems. I wonder what happened!

dsrock

Reaction score
Thanks for the RSD tip. That was it. The link I used from the guide lead me to a 4.5 version. It was a piece of cake from there.