1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Cant root my droid 1. Help please.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gmfk, Feb 1, 2011.

1. gmfk

gmfk New Member

I have a droid 1 with 2.2 and cant seem to root it. Tried z4 and and a couple other links but for some reason it wont root. Maybe im doing something wrong. N e help would b greatly appreciated. Thx

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. lilcdroid

lilcdroid New Member

3. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Or the proper way...
    Link one in my sig.
  4. ViolentSage

ViolentSage New Member

+1. If you're rooting your phone you're messing with a whole set of new features. Its always good to know exactly what is going on when you're rooting. That way if something goes wrong, you know the processes and the fixes.
  5. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Those "one click wonders" do work occasionally, but I can not tell you how often in the past issues were traced back to a phone having been rooted with them.

I strongly recommend that you do as Guidot suggested. Use the number one link in this signature and you'll have rooted your phone and learned what it all means/does.

Good luck.
  6. lilcdroid

lilcdroid New Member

+1. I guess I've taken rooting for granted, as i've had to root all my friends phones for them, so I usually use one click roots, then install the ROM's for em. I forget what it was like when all we had was DroidMod Installer and SPRecovery and had to use droidroothelper and solely SBF's to get it. Thanks for reminding me to put myself in a newbie's shoes before firing off an answer. BUT im still thankful that there are easier means to obtain root. :)
  7. gmfk

gmfk New Member

Im good with phones but not with computers is there n e way to do it without a computer? Hate to sound like a retard here but i got a lil confused with all the steps and downloads. And i dont k ow how to unzip.

8. guidot

You cannot root without a computer on the newest froyo. Only the one I refered too and superoneclick and both require a computer.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).
  9. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

+1 ... spoken like a true droid ninja ...as if guidot needs any "+1"-ing lol ;)
  10. h_10

h_10 New Member

i just rooted my replacement droid yesterday. it came w/ frg83d. i used soup or root w/ absolutely no problems.

google "soup or root official blog". dload the file, install drivers if needed, hit root me, then wait for about 3 or 4 mins. it doesn't give you any indication that it's doing anything but then voila, it's rooted w/ superuser installed. it was remendously easy. then dload rom manager and flash your clockworkmod recover or sprecovery and you are set.
  11. guidot

But you aren't really all set.

Soup or root and superoneclick don't give you a custom recovery.

Yes, yes, I know. "I just use rom manager." That will flash your custom recovery until you reboot again. Then the FRS will replace the recovery with stock.

This will happen until you install a new rom. But what if something happens and it doesn't take you say? As soon as you battery pull or whatnot, you will end up in stock recovery.

Then you can't load your backup.

I'll stop there.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).
  12. gmfk

gmfk New Member

Thx everyone for the info. Finaly rooted my d1. Ended up using soup or root. Easy as hell once i got the right moto drivers which i got off the link from guidot. So now that im rooted and got overclock i am open to any suggestions as to the settings thay would be to my advantage. Im testing cautiously right now but words of experience would be helpful. Thx again everyone

13. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

The first thing I would suggest is that if you decide to bet rid of the Bloatware, that you not delete those apks. Just use Root Explorer (or any File Manager like it) and rename the apk's from *.apk to *.apk.bak. That way if you mess with one that you should not have, all you have to do is rename it back to *.apk and you're good to go.

Make a nandroid backup before you do anything. And make a new one right before you make any change (roms/themes/kernels/etc.).

Switch to RZRecovery. It is more stable and feature rich than Clockwork. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html Also, get in the habit of installing roms/kernels/themes manually whether you use RZR or CW.

Roms - start with the Froyo roms as they are more stable right now than the Gingerbread roms. You need no more difficulties than absolutely necessary when starting out.

RZ Baseline: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/raidzero/126940-rom-rz-baseline-v0-4-frg83g.html

Chevy's 4.96: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/117227-1-17-11-ss-4-96-ready.html

And almost any of the other Froyo roms will serve you well. Just make sure you don't grab a rom from 6-8 months ago. Stick with the ones from the last 1-3 months.

Themes: Just make sure the theme you install is designed for the rom you are running.

Good luck.
  14. gmfk

gmfk New Member

Wow. Thanks but baby steps man. Im pretty phone savvy but not up on the droid lingo just yet. I was more so talking about settings in overclock so speed up my droid and save battery.

sent from my rooted D1
Search tags for this page

superoneclick v2.3.4