1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Can't Root Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by themadlbb, Dec 13, 2009.

1. themadlbb

themadlbb New Member

Hi, Just to clarify I am not a noob at "hacking devices" I have hard-battery hacked a psp and used lots of software on there. My issue is that I can't seem to get root access with my droid. I am following the tutorials to a T and it still isnt working. Let me walk through exactly what I have been doing.
    1. I download the update.zip file. This file contains two subfolders, META-INF and System.
    2. I rename the file to update.zip (I also tried just naming it update, I have Vista)
    3. I plug in my phone and start USB Connection
    4. I drag the update.zip (or update) folder into the root of my sdcard
    5. I turn off usb connection and shut down my phone
    6. I turn my phone back on while holding the "x" button.
    7. I then hold camera and volume up until I get the recovery menu (or whatever its called)
    8. I select install sd update.zip
    9. It goes through the motions, and says when it is done that phone has been rooted (or something to that effect)
    10. I reboot the phone.

now, seems like everything would work, right? I installed the file, it says I installed it, my phone doesnt act abnormal at all. However, when I try to use an app (such as SetCPU or something) it says that the phone doesnt have root access. This is driving me crazy. I feel I must be missing some key step. Can anyone help me out here?
  2. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Im not sure SetCPU works. The best way to test IMO of a successful rooting is to download Terminal Emulator and at the command line type su. If you get a # as your command prompt (rather than a $) -- you can root.
  3. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

make sure the update you have is the one from the thread that is my sig
    it gives you SU without extra steps. also, setcpu, does work(well it opens and works, but doesnt actually change anything)
  4. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

terminal emulator is the best way to tell. the first time you should get an allow deny prompt, click remember and allow. then type su hit enter
    you should get a #
  5. themadlbb

themadlbb New Member

Ok, I downloaded one terminal emulator that doesnt work. I then downloaded the android terminal emulator and I get the $ and when I type SU it says I don't have permission to SU. So I guess my phone is not rooted. I am going to try the update from your sig, boost, and I will get back with yall in a few minutes.
  6. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

yeah, try again. also, if your using vista, just name it update, it will add the .zip, even though you cant tell.
    let me know if your successful
  7. themadlbb

themadlbb New Member

Alright! Boost, your stuff works, I tried 3 different files and yours did the trick! I now have superuser permissions and all that jazz. Thanks for the good work.
  8. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

hey, dont thank me, i simply compiled it all into simple instructions. cellulararrest and a few other devs came up with the stuff, i just put it into lamens terms. ive been there and wanted to learn more without spending a lot of money, and so i did research, asked questions and got a good grip of the basics.
    thanks for the appreciation though. we dont get paid for this, and could just as soon sit back and laugh at all the bricked devices.
  9. jeff.essy

jeff.essy New Member

yes the setcpu does not work on motorola droid.hopefully it will soon cause i would like to use it to.if you find out when it works please let me know.

thanks
  10. boostdscoob

boostdscoob New Member

If you overclock your droid it will overheat. Its set @ 550, which is plenty. You can only go to 600, but you will mess it up doing so, no big difference in speed, so learn to like it. Its plenty fast now.
  11. mammlouk

mammlouk New Member

Yeah, but what about underclocking it!
Search tags for this page
cant get droid 3 to root
cant get step 1 and 2 files to root my android

cant root my android

cant root my droid 2013
i cant get my android to root
why cant droid 4 be rooted
why cant i drag a zip file into my android dir

why cant i root my lt15a