Can't restore backups or install roms

Reaction score
Okay so I just got a droid 2 a few days ago (coming from my lovely droid 1) and I installed apex on it as soon as I figured how to bootstrap and all that jazz. I went to try a new rom so I created a backup did a data/cache wipe and tried to install, and from that point on I can't install any rims I download, I get some kind of error saying its a bad zip.

So I go to restore my backup and all of the sudden the md5 doesn't match? My phone got looped somewhere in the process of trying to create a new backup just to see if I could restore it, so I was forced to go back to stock.

I rerooted my phone and spent hours last night trying to install any custom rom. I even installed fission rom manager and when that reboots my phone to install the zip it says file doesn't exist, so when I reboot to see what's the problem, it seems the file has disappeared, so I tried to copy the file BEFORE I rebooted so if it happens again I can just use the recovery to install it. The one in the fission folder erases itself, and the other one gives me the same error saying it's a bad zip, which im pretty sure they aren't cuz I've downloaded it over 3g and wifi, on my phone and comp, and used winrar to verify package integrity.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks ahead of time :)

OP
elvis_marmaduke
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and after that first ordeal with the restore not working, my titanium backup didn't detect any of the backups that I made just before I tried installing.

And one other thing I noticed, when I go to do a wipe data/cache it says /dev/something I don't remem er exactly what, isn't mounted or won't mount, not sure if it's part of the same issue or not...

Last edited:

louy99

Reaction score
Sbf and start over....that's what I would do.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

louy99

Reaction score
How did you root your phone?

OP
elvis_marmaduke
Reaction score
I already did sbf my phone back to normal, that's how I unbricked it... the problem was before and after I fixed it...
And I used the 123 easy root thing that (DOroot.bat) auto pushes the su and busybox stuff and sets permissions

louy99

Reaction score
Maybe try a different way of rooting. Perhaps that is messing things up

OP
elvis_marmaduke
Reaction score
Well the strange part is I installed apex just fine, no problems after rooting... I guess I can try rooting another way to see if that fixes it... any suggestions?

it seems like zips and stuff don't work right, the rom zips I download, I can't open with any of my file managers to look inside. And titanium backup doesn't read my previous backups either

OP
elvis_marmaduke
Reaction score
And my camera doesn't seem to work now either ugh im gonna try to reinstall everything tonight

louy99

Reaction score
Try z4root is the way a lot or D2 owners use. It worked good for me. Try have you tried liberty rom? Here is a link to z4 from my dropbox
http://db.tt/8Bf57Js

OP
elvis_marmaduke
Reaction score
doing z4root seems like it might be working, i am installing fission right now... I'll see how it works :)

thanks for all the help guys!

OP
elvis_marmaduke
Reaction score
It seems fission rom manager will only properly install stuff if I have it to a backup first, anyone else ever have this issue?

louy99

Reaction score
No, never had that problem. What were you installing that gave you a hard time, add-ons?

OP
elvis_marmaduke
Reaction score
I think I may have figured it out... I was trying a class 6 sd card I got from someone and now it's completely shot, while i was using it, I put my slower sd card (from my droid 1 so I know it works) and I'll see how it goes now... I never even thought that could be the problem... but I will see how it goes now... that WOULD explain why it could effect the camera too...