Can't reroot droid 1 after CM install...tried everything...(help)

dav

Reaction score
Hi All,

I rooted my droid 1 using the guide on this site (Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS), worked great for several weeks until ROM Manager download...

I flashed my droid (unfortunately forgot to nandroid backup) with the latest stable cyanogenmod ROM, which caused me to lose root. I have tried many ways to get it back (including the guide on this site again), z4root, and about 5 other suggested ways, but can't do anything that gets root back. I can't find a good set of instructions to follow using the google sdk/adb.

Sorry if i'm asking a repeat question, i've spent several nights searching and trying to find a way to do this. any help would be appreciated.

Anyone have a suggestion for me to try to get root back?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What problem did you run into with the SPR guide? Do you have a functioning recovery image? If so, I have a quick update.zip flash that will give you a recovery image you can reroot your OS with basic SU permissions. That will give you the ability to install Busybox from the Market, etc.

OP
D

dav

Reaction score
too funny...yes feel like i've been punk'd by bad software...

unforch no recovery image. have realized the importance of backups after applying CM mod. following in the footsteps of all the great noobs of the universe.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
We were all noobs at some point. Some of us just stayed around in Noobville longer than others. :)

So, what problems are you having with MotoCache1's guide? Because I can get you the SBF, a download of a current RSD Lite version, and the update.zip to fix recovery -- or I can get you the SBF for a more recent recovery that's just awesome. Your call. :)

OP
D

dav

Reaction score
furbearingmammal...

when i run Motocache1's guide, all seems to complete as expected...no error messages...all notifications occur exactly as described in the guide...however I do not have root. Permissions seem screwy...as sometimes there are access error messages, sometimes not...ie no error message in SetPCU however I can't overclock...ditto in using autokiller for its intended function...downloaded root check which verifies busybox installation but no root access...terminal emulator verifies su permission denied.

as for the the offer on awesomeness, it just so happens that i dig awesomeness so YES would be grateful to get the better recovery (if you think my phone is not beyond repair in this situation)...had been hoping to get my droid 1 to the point that i could use the Cyanogenmod 1.3GHZ overclock kernel (of course with strong SetCUP levels set to drop it way down if the heat starts)...however at this point I'll be happy with getting back to root and any overclocking i can get...

THANKS for your help and valuable time!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm going to smile at the idea of getting your phone to 1.3GHz because only one in a thousand phones can go that fast. Also, there is no CyanogenMod kernel other than the stock one.

And I'll suggest NOT using a task killer at all.

Anyway, if you still have SPR, try flashing this update.zip. Then you can use recovery to root the phone.

http://www.rzroms.com/droid/recovery/RZR-2.0.2/RZR-2.0.2-update.zip

OP
D

dav

Reaction score
OK...i played around for along time...loaded the above file and wiped data, loaded root, wipe data, loaded root etc...nothing but the cyanogen mod would come up. so i used RZR to wipe all. now i have an empty droid except RZR.

hm.

hope i didn't jump the gun too much. hope i'm niot beyond the point of no return. any suggestions.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You jumped the gun. It shot you in the phone. Now it is bleeding.

Time for the rescue squad to try to save your phone. :)

Alright, you'll have to SBF your phone back to stock and start over. Do you need the stock Verizon SBF?

http://wonderly.com/bb/DROID/OEM/VZW_A855_FRG22D_QSC6085BP_C_01.43.01P_SW_UPDATE.sbf

That's not the "latest" but it'll still root with z4root -- and there's no benefit to starting with the latest ROM since you're going to root and ROM it.

OP
D

dav

Reaction score
well...hopefully in the end it was for the better...as it was possessed by evil incompetent spirits known as CM and ROM manager.

"rescue squad", you are my hero

OK...new difficulties...i used the Motorola RSD lite app to try and flash the sbf file to the phone (which i placed on my c:drive, opened as read-only, and was unable to do as the "Start" button was greyed out...therefore i tried changing the sbf file name to a very short name which seemed to resolve this issue)...

After finally being able to flash through RSD with this SBF...fizzle, the flash process failed.

is there a way to flash the phone through RZrecovery? having not used this before an hour or so ago...not sure the best way to proceed...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!:)

when we fix my phone can we flash my brain to a new ram. this will fix the phone's user issue

OP
D

dav

Reaction score
By the way...reg. the 1.3ghz kernel... had found thru googling to get my overclocking back...after a CM mod...that within the ROM Manager CM download menus there are "bekit kernels" available for download...lists all kinds of clockspeeds and voltages...was trying to get a 1.3ghz low voltage kernel (which is partially how i discovered the loss of root - I couldn't perform root operations whcih ROM manager required)...anyway, given my track record, probably a good thing i couldn't download it. my droid would have really sht the bed by now given my preference to behave like a noobulous jackass with it.

drivinfocused

Reaction score
never had a problem with either...... but i would always download the update.zip for the rom from the site then do it the hard way... never liked clicking on install and letting it do it itself.... kinda that type of person.... hope your phone gets back to working order... i have a D1, i am about to go in and use it as a beta since i don't use it anymore for anything......

perfoliate

Reaction score
well...hopefully in the end it was for the better...as it was possessed by evil incompetent spirits known as CM and ROM manager.

"rescue squad", you are my hero

OK...new difficulties...i used the Motorola RSD lite app to try and flash the sbf file to the phone (which i placed on my c:drive, opened as read-only, and was unable to do as the "Start" button was greyed out...therefore i tried changing the sbf file name to a very short name which seemed to resolve this issue)...

After finally being able to flash through RSD with this SBF...fizzle, the flash process failed.

is there a way to flash the phone through RZrecovery? having not used this before an hour or so ago...not sure the best way to proceed...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!:)

when we fix my phone can we flash my brain to a new ram. this will fix the phone's user issue

If you can get into RZrecovery I would assume you should be able to place a rom on your SD card and install it. Download a rom. There is a mount option in RZrecovery so you can transfer from your computer through usb. Then install it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Quite often after a wipe of this nature it's required to do a full SBF to get the phone working again. It sounds draconian but if it saves a couple hours of back-and-forth tries and failure then it's usually worth just skipping over it.

When you say fizzled out, what happened?

OP
D

dav

Reaction score
RSD lite gives a "failed" status - "failed flashing process. 0x7100"

I've been googling on this and have tried many things to get RSD Lite to work...moved file back/forth to/from C: drive, play around with file naming, check/uncheck read only, add characters to file name to compensate for some logging issue that a software engineer found, etc. argggggg

Wonder if there is a way to flash the sbf without using RSD Lite?

as suggested above, i tried but did not succeed in mouinting/moving the .sbf file (both as I downloaded and as a zip file named "update.zip") to the phone through RZRecovery. Not sure how I would apply it in this fashion - within the install menu I can select the update.zip file but it fails to install...within same menu I can't select the .sbf file...

OK i'm starting to get nervous.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!