Can't receive calls, home button not working, can't lock.

iiiwildfireiii

Reaction score
First off, I am NOT ROOTED and I have not installed any new programs lately. Long story short, today my phone did what looked like a partial reboot or something while just laying on my desk. Afterwords, I was looking at it and noticed several problems:

1. I cannot receive calls. I can make calls, but when anyone calls me, it will ring twice on their end and then go to voice mail. My phone does not react at all.

2. My phone will not use the security grid. It will not enable either by widget or by going to the phones menu > security and enabling it. You can enable it, power phone off and back on and it goes right to the desktop. No lock screen period.

3. The home and search buttons on the bottom of the phone do not function. They vibrate like they are working but will they will not do anything.

4. And finally, when doing a long press on the power button, the airplane mode and other options do not appear. The only option available is the "Power Off" button.

Please, if anyone has experienced this or has an idea on how to fix this issue or what caused it, please let me know.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Weird.. I don't know of any "safe mode" that it might be.. bump for a solution..

OP
I

iiiwildfireiii

Reaction score
I know of someone who just posted this exact same problem today, but I believe he had it in the wrong section. I'll try and find a link for you. I wanted to get a more detailed problem here in the tech issues section to see if we could get a solution faster. This is a crazy one. My droid hasn't ever given me a fit since I bought it the week they came out.

strout

Reaction score
The same thing happened to my droid this afternoon. Anyone with any ideas?

pstpolamalu43

Reaction score
well im another person that had this EXACT same issue happen to me today. it seems like it was happened to many other people before, all pretty much at random times. i REALLY dont want to do a factory reset cause ill loose contacts music pics etc unless i save to my pc.

i restarted at least 20 times today, pulled battery and all.

Anyone with at least a reason why would be awesome.

Guchi

Reaction score
well im another person that had this EXACT same issue happen to me today. it seems like it was happened to many other people before, all pretty much at random times. i REALLY dont want to do a factory reset cause ill loose contacts music pics etc unless i save to my pc.

i restarted at least 20 times today, pulled battery and all.

Anyone with at least a reason why would be awesome.

you wont lose your contacts if you have them synced with google, and your music is on the sdcard so it will be fine

OP
I

iiiwildfireiii

Reaction score
Well, I just went ahead and backed everything up with Astro on my SD card, then sync'd it to my PC and made a backup of THOSE backups. Crossed my fingers and pulled it like John Connor finding Skynet's power cord. It worked like a charm, although it was a little aggravating. Guess I'll have to change my reply from "Lucky" to "1" in the Factory Reset thread.

As for the cause? ...Who knows? Kinda makes me wish it had a syslog or minidump file to review. Lulz.

Maybe we could all post what apps we have installed and see if there is a commonality?

pstpolamalu43

Reaction score
yea late last night i went and did a factory reset. all i did was just pull my SD card and reset it, then put the card back in and all my contacts automatically came back from gmail, and all my apps came back. i didnt do anything. it was awesome.

so worked for me. and fixed the issue.

Wraith

Reaction score
Just had to factory reset mine. Don't know why. I updated Sky Maps and Google maps last night, and about 5 other apps.

To clarify: Same issue, search, home and no calls, as is topic. Tried reboots and battery removal, still no change.

Last edited:

Palmyra

Reaction score
Just had to factory reset mine. Don't know why. I updated Sky Maps and Google maps last night, and about 5 other apps.

To clarify: Same issue, search, home and no calls, as is topic. Tried reboots and battery removal, still no change.

Did you update all or most of them at the same time? Or did you wait until one finished to start the other? I found in the past that Android seems to burp (how that for a tech term) if I try to update too many apps at the same time. Battery pull did fix mine.

Wraith

Reaction score
yeah, I DL'd 5-7 last night. I always do them at the same time. Even after I factor reset, I DL'd 4 at a time.

Some kind of bug.

Doncha love being a beta tester for a new product? :(

Oh well, made me install the new background I was thinking of putting in , and cleaned up my 3 screens again.

danaCreative

Reaction score
Possible Cause?

Although I am sure the symptoms people are experiencing may be a result of various downloads, I am curious if any one else experienced their problem shorlty after downloading the NFL Mobile application from Verizon. If I had to guess the one app that hosed my phone, my money would be on that one.

OP
I

iiiwildfireiii

Reaction score
I definitely did not have the NFL program on mine. That's not to say it DIDN'T cause the issue, just that it wasn't the root (pun unintended) of mine.