Can't read the Droid Forum newsletter from my Droid??? Really?

Whaler1989

Reaction score
Okay, this issue has been bugging me for a while but when I couldn't read the latest DroidForums Newsletter (from 11/5) it pushed me over the edge (or closer to it...;)). Since early summer, once in a while I will get an email that appears blank using the Gmail app on my Razar Maxx / ICS. I didn't get much response in the Razar Maxx Forum so thought maybe I'd get more input here.

Below are a couple screen shots to help explain what's happening. The first pix is what I see when I open the Droid Forum news letter but that's not the only message I can't read. The next shows the pop up message I get when I try to forward the message "Couldn't load the message text, the message may be too large." The next is just an example of what a normal message looks like.

At first I thought maybe the issue was because somehow the email client was trying to display black text on a black background but now that I notice that popup I realize it must be due to a memory configuration issue. This phone has plenty of storage memory but maybe something is using too much static ram? I just did a soft reset (vol up down power) but that didn't help. Is there any configuration setting I should try or last resort another email app I should use?

DSCN0932 blank.jpgToo large.jpgshould be.jpg

veraderock

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The DroidForums Newsletter is sent in HTML format.. Do you have trouble with other HTML emails, or have HTML emails turned off?

OP
Whaler1989

Whaler1989

Reaction score
From my Droid I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between an HTML email vs Text etc. On my PC (with Outlook) it's fairly obvious how to select the various email formatting options but I do not see any such options on my Droid Razar Maxx running ICE and the Gmail email app.

So, to answer your question I don't know if I have HTML email turned off, if there is a configuration setting I've overlooked please direct me.

BTW If this helps, I can read the message if I open it using the Gmail web interface. The issue I have is with the Gmail native app. I believe I need the native app because I use this device for Corporate sync which does not work with the web UI.

veraderock

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can tell from the icon in your screengrab that you're using the native mail app on android, but not the native gmail app. I'll set that up locally and try to test for the problem. A quick solution for you would be to try the gmail app instead, however we do want these working in as many mail clients as possible so I will test it on the native mail client.

OP
Whaler1989

Whaler1989

Reaction score
Thank you, that helps explain things but I'm still not sure what I should do. One of my primary uses for the phone is corporate sync for calendar and email. I looked at the Gmail app but it only allows users to setup their Gmail accounts so that won't work. I'm trying to avoid using two separate email clients and interface to calendar is an important function.

One of our IT support people suggested I take a look at a product called Touchdown so I will try that next.

Mingus

Reaction score
I am having this identical problem with corporate email - no content below the subject line, when I try to reply I get "too large to view", can't see an account configuration to change HTML treatment, etc. This appears to be sudden - I've had the phone (Droid Razr Maxx) since August 2012. Any help would be appreciated.