Can't play mp4 files from http

Pyroid

Reaction score
Whenever I try to access mp4 files online I get "not valid for streaming" even though it works on other platforms (symbian, iPhone OS). Is it normal for android or is it just me?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
mp4 is a valid format for the Droid so the issue is elsewhere. Where are you trying to stream the video from (i.e. website name) and what are you using (i.e. what browser or program)?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay... I'll bite... why don't you just use YouTube? All those videos are on YouTube, most in HD...

Have you tried d/l it and just playing them locally?

OP
P

Pyroid

Reaction score
Okay... I'll bite... why don't you just use YouTube? All those videos are on YouTube, most in HD...

Have you tried d/l it and just playing them locally?
But thats not the point. Why cant I just play it streamed? It didnt work for you either?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
No not streaming. Likely the server isn't configured for streaming (note on my laptop selecting them brings up a prompt asking if I want to open or save the file... this means the server isn't set to steam them automatically, if they streaming on your computer they are likely d/l as a temp file and you have likely defaulted the action for the page)

Last edited:

thericcer

Reaction score
Sorry its late

I just figured this out last night...

When you make the mp4 file from an encoder you must check the web optimized option, or with quick time the quickstart option. Otherwise the droid will come up with the not valid for streaming message.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, droid doesn't support everything an iphone does. Try downloading the mp4 and then opening it.

Davin

Reaction score
I realize that this was months ago but I have discovered that if my .MP4 extension is capitalized it goes to the HTTP browser. If I change it to lowercase, the icon goes from a blank white page to android and then I can play it.

richardvalentinew

Reaction score
iDealshare VideoGo can convert all kinds of MP4 to Android more supported video format to solve can't play MP4 on Android-powered devices.

It helps to:

Convert MP4 to Android supported format to play MP4 on HTC, Samsung Galaxy, Motorola Droid, Google Nexus, LG, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab or Note and more android mobiles or tablets;
Convert other videos to play FLV, AVI, DivX, XviD, WMV, MOV, MPG, MKV, VOB, ASF, MXF, AVCHD, Apple ProRes, 3GP and etc on Android devices;
Convert audio files like WMA, AIFF, FLAC, APE, Apple Lossless ALAC, M4A, DTS, OGG, CAF, TTA, AU, RA to Android supported MP3, AAC;
Convert all popular videos to play on iPad, iPhone, iPod, iTunes, PS3, PSP, Xbox 360, iTunes, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, BlackBerry and etc;
Convert movies to edit in Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Avid, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and more;
Edit MP4 or other movies like trim, crop, rotate, merge, split, watermark, subtitles, effect, resize, change video or audio parameters like bitrate, frame rate, aspect ratio, audio volume and channels.

Michellehlove

Reaction score
Bigasoft Total Video Converter, as a professional Android Converter, can easily convert video to Android supported format. No matter what video format you have like AVI, Xvid, DivX, MKV, WMV, RM, FLV, SWF, ASF, MPG, MOV, MTS, M2TS, and TS, the professional Android Video Converter is able to convert them to Android phone video format. Moreover, the ideal Android Converter also can serve as Android Audio Converter to convert any audio format to Android phone supported audio format or to extract audio from video and then save as Android phone supported audio format.

resfordot

Reaction score
As we all know, Android does announce that MP4 is one of Android compatible formats. However, people still encounter the issue of Android won't play MP4. Why? The reason is MP4 is a container format which means this format may contain various kinds of audio and video codecs while Android is only compatible with MP4 encoded with MPEG-4 or H.264 AVC.

THere is a guide which introduces a powerful tool named Faasoft MP4 to Android Converter to solve "Can't Play MP4 on Android" issue so that you can play any MP4 files in Android phones and tablets.