Can't make/receive calls or texts, don't know what else to do!

CiminoUM5

Reaction score
First of all, I've got a rooted Droid running Saphirre 1.0.

Phone was working totally fine when in and around my hometown of Tampa. On Thursday I flew into New Jersey. While at Newark airport, it still seemed to be working fine, was able to make a couple calls. Since I've been at my relatives' house, the thing's been damn near useless. Cycles between having no service, showing 3G and bars but unable to send or receive any calls or texts, and showing the roaming indicator with bars but also unable to send or receive any calls or texts. Then there's been times when I have been able to make calls, but it's completely random....for example, the first maybe 4 or 5 hours I was up yesterday, it was working fine. Then for the rest of the day, I couldn't do anything. But typically, when I get the ability to make/receive calls and texts, it's very brief and doesn't last very long. When I try and make a call when it's showing I have bars (whether it be 1 or 4 bars), all the bars immediately disappear when the dial screen starts. Data is working fine for the most part, obviously when I'm showing no service I don't get anything but when it shows 3G or roaming I can still use the browser/facebook/etc.

I've tried tons of options....changing ROMs, doing a factory data wipe/reset and going back to stock (well, rooted stock), battery pulls, dialed #22899 when I have been able to call out, changed my VOCODE setting, cycled airplane mode on/off, called Verizon and had them check my ##program settings (had me change CDMA Sys ID in User Activation but said the other numbers in that menu looked fine).....and no real progress so far. My sister also has a Droid on Verizon and she hasn't been having any issues with hers, so it's not a location thing (Verizon support also said I shouldn't be having any problems in this area).

I'm at a total loss here. Verizon support said I should go to a store so they can flash the phone but I'd like to leave that as a last resort so I don't have to unroot. I'm wondering if there's anything in the Extended NAM menu that looks funny to anyone...here's what I'm showing:

MIN: My phone number
True IMSI: Whole bunch of 0's
IMSI_11_12:72
MDN : My phone number
CDMA Sys ID: 42
Country Code: 311
CDMA Network: 65535
1st channel A: 283
1st channel B: 384
2nd channel A: 691
2nd channel B: 777
Emergency 1: 911
Emergency 2: *911
Emergency 3: #911
Access overload class: 7
SPC: 000000

Anything look off? My current location is Watchung/North Plainfield, NJ. Oh, also, originally either my MIN or MDN (don't remember which) was showing my phone number as something like 000-000-#### when these problems started happening. I went in and changed both to my number, which I thought could have been a problem, but when I spoke with tech support they said I should see my phone number in both fields so I assume that's not it).

Hope you guys can help, I'm incredibly frustrated and don't know what else to do at this point.

Last edited:

Brian1

Reaction score
No real good ideas on that. Sounds like a hardware issue. I suggest back to stock and unrooted. Goto verizon and have them do what they can. Brian

Brian1

Reaction score
One thought is swap batteries with your sister's droid Brian

OP
C

CiminoUM5

Reaction score
I'd try a different baseband.

You think an earlier version may help? I'm currently running C_01.43.01P. That was another thing I tried, reinstalling the same baseband when I first got into town but it didn't help.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd try a different baseband.

You think an earlier version may help? I'm currently running C_01.43.01P. That was another thing I tried, reinstalling the same baseband when I first got into town but it didn't help.

It's certainly worth a try. The net is full of threads about different basebands working better or worse on some droids. I try going back to the original and if need then the second release.

OP
C

CiminoUM5

Reaction score
Now everything's working at the moment. I'm outside a grocery store about 5 min away from my relatives' place, a spot where it also started working when I was here 2 days ago. Can't make any calls indoors but outdoors its fine. Very strange.

OP
C

CiminoUM5

Reaction score
And as soon as I left that area, back to not being able to call or text. I'm gonna hold off until I get back to Tampa tomorrow before unrooting and going into Verizon.

harrellj

Reaction score
Since you mentioned having a roaming indicator, is your phone set to now allow roaming? Also, have you tried updating the PRL to see if that helps?

OP
C

CiminoUM5

Reaction score
Since you mentioned having a roaming indicator, is your phone set to now allow roaming? Also, have you tried updating the PRL to see if that helps?

I believe so. Under Settings->Mobile Networks-> System Select I've got it set to Auto. Pretty sure it's always been on that setting.

As for the PRL, yes, as I mentioned initially I've tried both #228 then 2 as well as #22899, neither one seems to have helped.