1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Can't make Nandroid Backup via Clockwork 2.5.0.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by lexxon, Aug 5, 2010.

1. lexxon

lexxon New Member

Hi all,

I've been running a rooted phone since before the official 2.1 with little issues that weren't my own fault. I'm running the most up to date Clockwork Recovery via ROM Manager (2.5.0.1 I believe) and if I try to backup my ROM via ROM Manager, it fails. First, it would get stuck at the Moto logo, now after reflashing recovery, it starts backing up boot, but almost immediately goes back into the main menu. No backup shows up in recovery. The only change I can think of is that I manually deleted a lot of old backups on the SD card.

I'll be trying another Clockwork reflash...but anyone hear of this specific problem, with a fix? Thanks!
  2. I <3 twins

I <3 twins New Member

I am having the same problem on my phone. I can't create a back up and I can't load a new rom.
    When I open rom manager after it fails to back-up it gives me a message saying "is recovery broken". Then there are 5 tips to fix rom manager but none of them have worked for me.
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Two suggestions.

Use an older version of CW or flash the alternative recovery SPRecovery and use SPR to make a backup. A word of caution, a backup made with SPR is not compatible with CW nor is a backup made with CW compatible with SPR.

Mike
  4. I <3 twins

I <3 twins New Member

Rom Manager is telling me to "Fastboot or SBF a recovery onto your phone from your PC" what does this mean?
  5. mwhartman

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with RM to advise. I believe there is a fix permissions settings and perhaps a clear for cache that may resolve but I'm not positive.

Mike
  6. I <3 twins

I <3 twins New Member

That was the first thing I tried. In the past Fix Permissions solved any problems I had but not this time.
  7. lexxon

lexxon New Member

After another reflash all of the "failed" backup started showing up, and although I have no idea if those are complete, one of the backups appeared to make it all the way. Now USB's having trouble connecting to Windows...yeesh.

...there it went!

...and the four backups with today's date are all under 1MB. Clockwork's obviously still not quite right. I'm actually looking to update to the most recent Froyo build from Bugless Beast 0.4 and these bugs are making me want to even more...if I can work them out!
  8. mwhartman

9. lexxon

lexxon New Member

After flashing SPRecovery, phone got stuck at the moto logo for a minute or two then rebooted back as normal. This happened many times with Clockwork, and is now happening with SPRecovery. It seems as if this problem isn't with any specific recovery...

I have a bad feeling about this :\
  10. mwhartman

Lets hope that is not the case. Did you do a factory reset and wipe data and cache during the last rom install?

Mike
  11. lexxon

lexxon New Member

I did, went from Chevy's ROM to Bugless Beast, wiped everything and restored using Titanium. I'll be looking into the methods to manually flash recovery, maybe Rom Manager's bugging out. Haven't had a problem before now.
  12. mwhartman

What version of BB did you flash? If it was a FROYO, I wonder if somehow the Titanium backup messed up something.
  13. lexxon

lexxon New Member

Yup, 0.4 Froyo indeed. I was unsure what else to use to restore apps and settings, as I was using Chevy's custom solution for a time, and Titanium every other time. I've had no issues with Titanium, but maybe it gets a bit confused by Froyo apps/ROMs?
  14. mwhartman

The reason I asked, I've installed two FROYO roms. I wiped data and cache prior to the install and each time my apps automatically reloaded.

For now, lets trust that your phone is stable and you will be OK.

Mike
  15. lexxon

lexxon New Member

Turns out my ROM Manager was out of date...although all that seemed to add was a little "check" if recovery worked, and giving similar ideas to you on how to fix it. Installed a couple of versions back of clockwork recovery (2.0.2.4) and it looks like a backup finally took. Hell, I'm happy.

I've noticed the programs auto-loading from Froyo but never quite trusted the autoload to bring back all of my files and data. Did everything seem intact? I'll let it go with the FRG22 install and see how it goes.
  16. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Try flashing SPRecovery via Rom Manager, then immediately flashing ClockworkMod again. Immediately flash ClockworkMod again after that, it should take a second to come back and say completed.

Select boot into recovery and see if you can boot into recovery. If you can....you can make a backup from there or just reboot and make the backup from Rom Manager (which reboots in to ClockworkMod and runs a full backup for you).
Search tags for this page

nandroid backup clockwork