Can't install USB Driver for Windows XP

SteveD

Reaction score
In Eclipse 3.5 when I go to Android Device Chooser and I click the radio button Choose a running Android device nothing appears in the following rows.

First you should know I have seen almost every forum out there and the steps just do not work and I do not know why.

I just get a Droid X and can not install the USB Drivers. I verified that in the USB_Driver directory in my Android_SDK_Windows folder that I have the correct various files and folders that match the ADBDriver_v3_Google.zip files and folders. When I follow the instructions from the Android Developers document for USB Drivers for Windows it doesn't work. The steps are:
Windows XP: Perform a fresh installation

To install the Android USB driver on Windows XP for the first time:
  1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port. Windows will detect the device and launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
  2. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click "Next."
  3. Select "Search for the best driver in these locations"; un-check "Search removable media"; and check "Include this location in the search."
  4. Click "Browse..." and locate the folder where you copied the installation package.
  5. Click "Next" to install the driver
The steps work until step 4. From the folder USB_Driver when I click OK the driver is not found. If I click the folders below that i386 and AMD64 the OK grays out.

Is there something I am doing wrong? How can I load this driver using a CMD line? Everything else seems to be working OK. I am using SDK 2.1 and Eclipse 3.5. Until I figure this out I can not connect my Droid X to test my application. I can only use the emulator. I am a newbie.

Also, I can see in the Android SDK and AVD Manager that the Usb Driver package, revision 3 is installed. But when I type ADB Devices in a command prompt, I get "List of devices attached" with nothing following. Obviously something is not right.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve D.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
When you plug in your phone and click the notification bar on the phone what mode is it on?

OP
S

SteveD

Reaction score
That was strange?

When I clicked on notifications it orignally had 2 areas: Ongoing and Connections.

Ongoing has battery information.

The Connections did say something like "connected for media share" but then it turned red and went away and now I don't see that notification. (Maybe I touched the notification and it went away?)

Under Settings>Applications>Development: USB Debugging and Stay Awake are both checked with a green checkmark.

OP
S

SteveD

Reaction score
If it helps....

The modified version of the "Hello World" simple application works fine in the Eclipse emulator.