Can't hide apps?

SallyC

Reaction score
In my app drawer, viewing all apps, it used to be that I could long press on an app and choose to hide it. I have a number of them hidden now, which I can go visit if I want by using Menu> Hidden Apps. If I long press on them, I can unhide them.

But I just realized that I no longer get the option to hide no matter which app I pick. I can Add to Home, Share, Add to group or Uninstall. Is this some new "feature" I'm supposed to like or am I just not seeing how you hide an app now? :confused:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
In my app drawer, viewing all apps, it used to be that I could long press on an app and choose to hide it. I have a number of them hidden now, which I can go visit if I want by using Menu> Hidden Apps. If I long press on them, I can unhide them.

But I just realized that I no longer get the option to hide no matter which app I pick. I can Add to Home, Share, Add to group or Uninstall. Is this some new "feature" I'm supposed to like or am I just not seeing how you hide an app now? :confused:

Sally, maybe sounds like a dumb question but are you trying to hide user-installed apps?

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
Sally, maybe sounds like a dumb question but are you trying to hide user-installed apps?

Well, uh, yeaahh, FoxKat. Is that considered dumb? :blush: My thought process was I already have a shortcut or widget on my home screen if I want one and now I don't want to look at that app anymore. I'd rather just have apps there that I don't have a shortcut/widget for but still want to open up or run from time. So why have to sort through all the others to see them?

But I can see now that you've nailed the problem because I found one of the stock apps and do have the hide option. So it looks like you can't do what I was thinking. :redface:

Thanks for your insight (and no blonde jokes, please).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, uh, yeaahh, FoxKat. Is that considered dumb? :blush: My thought process was I already have a shortcut or widget on my home screen if I want one and now I don't want to look at that app anymore. I'd rather just have apps there that I don't have a shortcut/widget for but still want to open up or run from time. So why have to sort through all the others to see them?

But I can see now that you've nailed the problem because I found one of the stock apps and do have the hide option. So it looks like you can't do what I was thinking. :redface:

Thanks for your insight (and no blonde jokes, please).

:popcorn:

Fun and entertaining...

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
Seriously, the app drawer is full of stuff that's useless by itself like icon packs or things you don't want very often like Christmas wallpaper. Yet you can only hide stock apps? I know that many alternate launchers offer this ability and it looks like some apps, while disguised as something else, really function to hide things like selected pictures and videos. But I don't have any desire to be so clandestine and I don't want another launcher. I just want to move certain apps out of the way. Is there no way to simply do this?

Caren4u2

Reaction score
I am using a lot of the "Go" apps.....which includes the ability of hiding the apps I don't use and the ability of grouping my apps into folders so I don't have to scroll thru everything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
I am using a lot of the "Go" apps.....which includes the ability of hiding the apps I don't use and the ability of grouping my apps into folders so I don't have to scroll thru everything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Thanks. I know a number of other launchers will do it, like Launcher Pro Plus and Go Launcher EX. It seems to be a popular /common feature, which is part of the reason I assumed it was available stock. It really doesn't seem like a dumb request or assumption.

But I don't know that I want another launcher. Although if it's the only way I can avoid having to dig through a "junk drawer" every time I want an app not on my home screen maybe I will.

I use Folder Organizer which is awesome for my home pages but doesn't do anything for the app drawer. I wish there were a simple application for just changing apps to hidden.