can't get updates becuase i'm rooted and...

19psi

Reaction score
I must have fully deleted something useless but of course we all know everything stock has to be intact to get the OTA.

How can I fix it? Factory reset?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No... I think you have to flash back to a stock image..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP

19psi

Reaction score
Oh boy, how do I do that? Is there a link somewhere?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Oh boy, how do I do that? Is there a link somewhere?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I am assuming you are on .181. If so I recommend you download and install the Razr Utility (discussed in above thread), install on your computer and use the utility to return to stock .181...just follow the on screen instructions. You should also use the utility to unroot first. You shouldn't have a problem receiving the OTA update to ICS after that. Make sure you extract the utility .zip to its own folder on your C: drive and run the .bat file.

apl3

Reaction score
If you are rooted and no custom rom will you get the notification of the update?

Last edited:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
If you are rooted and no custom rom will you get the notification of the update?
Yes you will get the notification and it will download to your phone but the install will fail most likely. You have two options: Put your phone back to stock (no frozen apps, no delete or otherwise moved apps) and unroot. Once updated you can root again if you chose. Option 2: Download and install Voodoo Root Keeper from Google Play save root and then temporarily unroot to get the update. After the update you can then go back to root using Voodoo Root Keeper. I personally have never had success using Voodoo Root Keeper, I always lost root, but this is probably because I didn't do something right, lol.

apl3

Reaction score
Thanks
I am using rootkeeper. I just have some frozen apps and root plus safestrap. Now if I could just stop from checking for system updates.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Thanks
I am using rootkeeper. I just have some frozen apps and root plus safestrap. Now if I could just stop from checking for system updates.
You shouldn't have a problem...just make sure you unfreeze those apps and temporarily unroot.

OP

19psi

Reaction score
I am assuming you are on .181. If so I recommend you download and install the Razr Utility (discussed in above thread), install on your computer and use the utility to return to stock .181...just follow the on screen instructions. You should also use the utility to unroot first. You shouldn't have a problem receiving the OTA update to ICS after that. Make sure you extract the utility .zip to its own folder on your C: drive and run the .bat file.

sorry.. which thread above?

NVM, i found it. I"ll give it a shot. Thanks!

Last edited:

Olivia

Reaction score
Could someone please give the link to the freakin thread??? I need to unroot also and all these post nobody helps!!! Everyone is very vague on how to do it!:icon_evil:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Could someone please give the link to the freakin thread??? I need to unroot also and all these post nobody helps!!! Everyone is very vague on how to do it!:icon_evil:
Ok, lets start with what phone do you really have. Your profile says iphone 3gs. If your phone is a Razr/Razr Maxx what version OS are you running. To check that go to menu>settings>about phone and look for software version. After we have established those two bits of information we can help you.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Ok, lets start with what phone do you really have. Your profile says iphone 3gs. If your phone is a Razr/Razr Maxx what version OS are you running. To check that go to menu>settings>about phone and look for software version. After we have established those two bits of information we can help you.

FYI, got her fixed up in another thread that she started about the issue. Phone is in working order now.