Can't get Swype to work

Rootgirl

Reaction score
Here is a fix for now. As suggested on the Swype forum, I just installed a previous version of Swype and am happy to say that I am using it to type this! Yaay!

There is a little problem when switching between horizontal and vertical where it blocks out most of the screen, but that is fixed when you hit the back button.

Link to older version:

http://everythingevo.net/2010/10/18/installing-swype-on-the-htc-evo-4g/

I uninstalled as suggested, then used the direct link to download previous version. I did not need to email it to myself as instructed on the site. After download, I went to the keyboard settings and selected Swype, etc, etc.

This will get us through for now, although it is a touch laggy.

Hope it works for you!

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Swype final is simply a stable build. The betas are testing new features.

Think of it as the released Swype is version 1.0 or 1.5 and you're testing 2.1 beta.

And enough off-topic. :)

alboboy10

Reaction score
Does this mean its finally working properly for TB on messages also or no?

Rootgirl

Reaction score
The older version I installed as described above is working perfectly.

The display issue has only happened once (right after install) and it only lags when I am typing on this forum. All other uses (SMS, internet, etc) have been flawless so far.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same version, but this version of swype for the evo works flawlessly. Here's the link:
New Version of Swype for HTC Evo | Market 4 Android

Make sure you uninstall any previous versions of swype that you may have installed first. It required a reboot after I installed it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Definitely not the same version, but definitely not flawed like the beta either. I noticed my beta was not as responsive in recognizing the right words many times forcing me to go back and do lots if editing... This Evo version is not at all flawed, and I like the look and sound better, too! You get the gold star today!!

bhall238

Reaction score
I wonder if they are working on a real fix rather than just having us download older versions that are for other phones and possibly somewhat laggy. I would like to think so, but the last time I looked on their forum there didn't seem to be much concern from the Swype people. Rootgirl, I think I may go with your link.

Rootgirl

Reaction score
It has worked out pretty well so far. Both of the links above are for the same version, so take your pick.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only thing I noticed (took me a month, lol) is that there is no "mic" button for voice-to-text on the Evo version. Anyone know if there is a way to turn it on or of a different version that has it?

comk4ver

Reaction score
I just had the same problem (after wiping data and cache) I tried downloading everything but I got it to work by downloading voice search (google app). It works now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
I just had the same problem (after wiping data and cache) I tried downloading everything but I got it to work by downloading voice search (google app). It works now.

I tried to install voice search, which did install correctly, but there is still no Voice/Mic button on the HTC Evo SWYPE keyboard. Any other ideas?

comk4ver

Reaction score
Whatever you do don't install talkback (it's annoying) because talkback only states/tells you what you're doing not you telling it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jseah

Reaction score
I got an email from Swype last week about an update. Installed it and it works fine for me.

ajk23az

Reaction score
I logged in and downloaded the installer, downloaded installed swipe, and activated it in language/settings but swipe keyboard doesn't come up.

You have to use chompsms or hand cent to use swype on the thunderbolt. Says so on the swype website.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums