Can't get Swype to work

viper1549

Reaction score
Swype is sucking. It's not recognizing basic words. "not" should not come up "nut". O and u are far enough apart. Need to find a new solution. Pecking at a keyboard would suck.

Plus, on the TB the text boxes don't scroll top follow your input. Annoying.

yeah i have to agree... if you want to add your own words for slang or cuss words you have to go in the settings and manually add it.. way annoying..

pistol_pete

Reaction score
Okay, so autospacing works properly with Handcent. Aside from eye candy, though, what other functionality does it add? I don't do group messaging, and I'm perfectly content with a barebones look-if I wanted shiny, bubbly, and brightly colored, I'd have an i*one. I do want CM7 options back for dark theme to save battery, but that's it.

Not trying to be argumentative. I see these touted everywhere, but never why, and I am curious as to the value, since they seem rather notorious for compatibility issues and other bugs.

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

Popups - for one. Customizations w/ the ui.

bhall238

Reaction score
I had Swype on my OG Droid and had no problems. I am also getting the no auto space between words and this worked on the Droid. Actually I would swear that it worked when I first installed it on the Tbolt, and I've never used (or even installed Handcent). I used the same log in by the way, did not need a new account. This is an issue on the Tbolt then?

Reaction score
Don't panic everybody , I am a devout android user , in fact I just got my TB yesterday , coming from a Droid X , and a D1 before that . I'm android for life . My wife on the other hand , not so much , but she loves Swype . I cannot seem to find any similar keyboard for her iPhone and figured the best people to ask were all of you . Anybody know where I can get a swype style keyboard for her iPhone . I got the swype working on my TB btw . Works great , I felt naked without it for the first 6 hrs til I got it installed !

From the SWYPE Message Boards:

We have no plans to announce regarding the release of Swype on the iPhone, but are constantly reassessing where our development resources are directed. Keep your ear to the ground and you might hear something eventually
smile.png

My guess is that crApple won't allow it as it would have to replace the beloved iPhone Keyboard, so you have to "jailbreak" the iOS to get it working if they ever code it for iOS.

Chillout2010

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention the no autospace feature not working as well as no auto caps working. I downloaded the beta and it seems almost easier to use the stock keyboard without those features working. Has anyone figured out a workaround yet?

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention the no autospace feature not working as well as no auto caps working. I downloaded the beta and it seems almost easier to use the stock keyboard without those features working. Has anyone figured out a workaround yet?

My suggestion would be to go to the SWYPE Beta Message boards and ask them... they have SWYPE employees that respond to lots of posts. Your problems seem to be abnormal from most other's experience on the TBolt with Beta SWYPE.

bhall238

Reaction score

I've seen it several places, my post (well I didn't mention the auto cap thing)two posts up from yours in this very thread for one. I'm hoping for a fix soon, because I agree with you and in fact am about to go back to the stock keyboard.

Reaction score

I've seen it several places, my post (well I didn't mention the auto cap thing)two posts up from yours in this very thread for one. I'm hoping for a fix soon, because I agree with you and in fact am about to go back to the stock keyboard.

You should try SlideIT to see if that works for you. My wife and sister both swear by it. I prefer SWYPE (auto-adds to dictionary, easy to capitalize letters, etc.) and thankfully have no major issues with the Beta on the TBolt.

Has anyone tried to "start from scratch," uninstalled SWYPE and the Beta Installer, resent the Beta download link and reinstalled? Since mine works, I have to assume that your version of Beta is an older build, so perhaps doing all that will get you working?

bhall238

Reaction score
I did all that, uninstalled both the app and the installer, re installed re licensed and everything. I would almost swear it worked at first, but now doesn't. The whole time I had it on my moto Droid I never had one problem. That's why I'm thinking it's an HTC or Thunderbolt issue. I've been to the Swype forums too and it has been brought up over there. Surely there will be a fix soon.

Reaction score
I did all that, uninstalled both the app and the installer, re installed re licensed and everything. I would almost swear it worked at first, but now doesn't. The whole time I had it on my moto Droid I never had one problem. That's why I'm thinking it's an HTC or Thunderbolt issue. I've been to the Swype forums too and it has been brought up over there. Surely there will be a fix soon.

Did you have the Beta on your Droid 1? I know that Motorola started packaging the full version back with the Droid X/D2s (I believe those were the first two...)

bhall238

Reaction score

Did you have the Beta on your Droid 1? I know that Motorola started packaging the full version back with the Droid X/D2s (I believe those were the first two...)

Yes it was the Beta on the OG Droid and it is on the Thunderbolt as well. To be honest I did not know the full version was ready for release since the Beta was still out there. My wife has the X, you are saying she has Swype on there?

lee__D

Reaction score
long press a text field>choose input method>choose swype.

sry if it's been answered

Reaction score
Yes it was the Beta on the OG Droid and it is on the Thunderbolt as well. To be honest I did not know the full version was ready for release since the Beta was still out there. My wife has the X, you are saying she has Swype on there?

I know with the Droid X and think with the Droid 2 (perhaps the other "new" Moto Droids as well) came prepackaged with them, you just need to enable the service and then choose it as the input method.

Settings>Language & Keyboard. Check the SWYPE box. Then go to a Text field, long press and choose it as the input method.

bhall238

Reaction score
OK, I think I'm asking a dumb question. Why are we using the Beta if it's released? When I go to the site it's still promoting the Beta, it says "At long last we've re-opened the Swype Android Beta to a limited group". What am I missing? Is this an admission that they know it doesn't work on the Thunderbolt? Or are they saying that until the phone officially comes with Swype (like the X apparently now does) it can only be the Beta version? I feel like I should apologize for the question, but I don't see where to download the released version.

Rootgirl

Reaction score
you aren't crazy

bhall238, you aren't crazy. I just got my Thunderbolt today and promptly downloaded Swype. Like you, initially it worked properly and then stopped autospacing and autocaps.

I just upgraded my much loved Droid Eris on which I had rooted and installed froyo. Swype worked just fine on that phone and aside from having to reinstall Swype one time after it "expired", I had no problems with the program.

Given that I am already sick of this problem, I am going to go and post this message over in their forum and send it to tech support. Copy and paste baby! I am not pecking out this message again!