"Can't get MMS" message

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Is anyone else getting a message which states, "Can't get MMS Check Settings > MMS > APNs (tap to retry)?

I'm currently running our stock message app. I did have Handcent running when this first popped up. I uninstalled and moved back into Textra, but the message came back with it running. I'm now down the stock app and it's still sending me this message. It doesn't happen 24/7, so it's a little difficult to pin down. Yes, I have been receiving texts and sending, but there have been some which have not come through on my end (usually when this message starts popping up)

It started while we were out of town over the weekend. I've had limited time to try to deal with it, but I can't even find the stinkin' MMS in settings, much less be able to "tap to retry" under APNs, since I can't find that either....

If this needs to be moved to a different area, please accept my apologies and I'll move it. I just thought this might be a good place to start since I've never experienced anything like this with any other phone until I got this Z Force...

I will have limited time to respond this evening, so please don't think I'm ignoring anyone.
Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you have a Verizon Droid phone I don't think you have APN Settings available, they are all pre programmed into the phone. I believe that's correct, but could be wrong. That seems like a strange Text message on a Verizon phone?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
If you have a Verizon Droid phone I don't think you have APN Settings available, they are all pre programmed into the phone. I believe that's correct, but could be wrong. That seems like a strange Text message on a Verizon phone?

All I know is, I've searched high & low & googled myself silly without resolution. It doesn't pop up all the time, just an occasional message. Once it starts, it sends about every five minutes for about an hour. I've got a screen shot from earlier. I'll post that in a minute.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
ea1113d63b46a76e4d4ef9fee46c9e7f.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When you go to Settings > More > Cellular Networks > Access Point Names (APN) is VZW Internet selected? I assume it is, or many other things would not work correctly. Some phones, on some networks, have to manually enter the APN Settings. I have never had to do that with any Verizon phone. I'm not sure why you are getting that message. Very strange.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When you are on WiFi, do you turn Cell Data (4G) Off by chance? On Verizon you can only get an MMS Text message when you have a connection to Verizon through cell Data. The phone should switch from WiFi to 4G real quick to grab the MMS and then right back to WiFi. As long as Cell Data / 4G is enabled.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
When you go to Settings > More > Cellular Networks > Access Point Names (APN) is VZW Internet selected? I assume it is, or many other things would not work correctly. Some phones, on some networks, have to manually enter the APN Settings. I have never had to do that with any Verizon phone. I'm not sure why you are getting that message. Very strange.

That's my only choice...

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
When you are on WiFi, do you turn Cell Data (4G) Off by chance? On Verizon you can only get an MMS Text message when you have a connection to Verizon through cell Data. The phone should switch from WiFi to 4G real quick to grab the MMS and then right back to WiFi. As long as Cell Data / 4G is enabled.

I don't do anything with those settings, and never have. That message doesn't pop up all the time, just a couple - few times a day for about an hour, then it stops. I can still text, but it appears I'm missing some incoming during it's little tantrums.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't do anything with those settings, and never have. That message doesn't pop up all the time, just a couple - few times a day for about an hour, then it stops. I can still text, but it appears I'm missing some incoming during it's little tantrums.

That has to be frustrating. Unfortunately I don't have any other ideas or suggestions at the moment. If I do think of anything I will post it here.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks. It's not a huge issue, but it IS frustrating.... I'm sure a bug will work it's way out eventually, or someone else will trip over the same issue & we can commiserate together

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I assume you've checked the MMS settings in Textra, but if not, make sure they are set to:
MMS behavior Legacy
Manually configure APN is set to OFF
Other than that, I have no clue.
Might want to get on the Moto/Lenovo forum and post up so the Moto people can see it and try to figure it out for you.
Good luck.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I assume you've checked the MMS settings in Textra, but if not, make sure they are set to:
MMS behavior Legacy
Manually configure APN is set to OFF
Other than that, I have no clue.
Might want to get on the Moto/Lenovo forum and post up so the Moto people can see it and try to figure it out for you.
Good luck.
I uninstalled Textra, so that can't be it. I'll take your advice & head over to post on Moto's site tonight if I have time. Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
From what I saw with a quick Internet search, that message is a Textra message. So you should not be receiving it after uninstalling Textra. Or, it can also be caused by an app named AdBlock.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Isn't Professor Google smart? I just saw the same thing. I use Textra all the time and have no problems with MMS messages. I don't have AdBlock on mine.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
ea1113d63b46a76e4d4ef9fee46c9e7f.jpg

I just noticed this, isn't that the Textra notification icon and not the stock Messaging app icon? Maybe it did not fully uninstall?