1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Can't get into any recovery mode whatsoever

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by romeov, Jul 2, 2010.

1. romeov

romeov New Member

Hi guys,

I'm desperately trying to update to BB 0.4 now that it looks to be stable and yet, I've discovered I cannot get my Droid to boot into recovery (ANY recovery) no matter what I try.

All attempts get me stuck at the M logo for a minute or so, and then the phone just reboots normally. That includes:

The latest Clockwork
    Clockwork 1.8.1.4
    SP Recovery
    Sprecovery, clean reboot, BACK to clockwork, clean reboot

I am currently running BB 1.0 and have never had any problems before. I saw somewhere else someone mentioning copying a fresh recovery-0.99.img via your SD card and terminal, which I have, but I don't know if the version I have is ok to do with my current 2.12, hoping to go to 2.2 (I have recovery-0.99.3.img backed up)

Would this work? does anyone else have any ideas? I really want to get on 0.4!

(should be happy I can at least boot normally and use my phone in the meantime I guess heh)
  2. wmnomore

wmnomore New Member

reflash your recovery(clockwork) 2-3 times in a row. this has been a problem with froyo.
    this happened to me yesterday and it worked.
    good luck
  3. ellisz

ellisz New Member

I had the issue where I could not get into recovery and kept flashing multiple times from SPR to clockwork. Flash into SPR and boot into recovery. I did this as a test and it worked fine. I then started trying older Clockwork files. Some worked some did not. I ended up with 2.0.1.2 and left it there. It kept telling me to upgrade but I did not. 2.0.1.3 just won't let me in recovery.

I am using 2.0.1.9 now and it is working for me.
  4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I've noticed that if the reflash of whichever recovery you want to actually use takes a long time before Rom Manager confirms installation, it is a bad installation. You need to keep reflashing the recovery until it installs quickly. If it installs quickly on the first reflash, you do not need to continue to reflash. But that's just my experience and may not be universal - in other words (or letters) YMMV :)
  5. stark23x

stark23x New Member

BTW, when people say "flash back & forth three times" they mean in a row WITHOUT rebooting. Flash SP then CW then SP then CW, etc...do that a few times to try to make it stick and THEN try rebooting. Just clarifying in case that bit was lost...as it is a mistake I made for a good (and frustrating) hour before I figured it out. :)
  6. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

lol...sounds like the fix is "shake the heck out of it until it works" :)

This is why I just stick with SPRecovery. It works every time I want it to work.

For those needing/wanting RM I wonder if an uninstall of RM, followed by a quick RSD Lite flash of SPRecovery, followed by a reinstall of RM would clear this up when it occurs. The downside is you might not always be near a pc with RSD Lite when you wanted to take this approach.
  7. stark23x

stark23x New Member

That's better than the Phase II fix: HIT IT WITH A HAMMER. :D
  8. Captmilk

Captmilk New Member

I did like another user told me to do.....flash Sprecovery. Then clockwork again and it worked for me
  9. SCT

SCT New Member

Had that problem and found the answer here. I was stuck with new V0.1. Reflashing CW did the trick for me and I installed .4 no problem.
  10. ilikefishes

ilikefishes New Member

I have tried all of this and am stuck in the Froyo 0.4 version. I can't even back that up to go back to another older version. It just goes back to this ROM. Pete are you trying to take over my phone:)? Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated. I don't understand, it won't even go into recovery when I push X and power. Thanks and have a great day.
  11. BayouFlyFisher

First download SpRecovery here: http://downloads.droidmod.org/recovery-0.99.3.img Put it on the SdCard (not in a folder).

Then open one of the available Terminal Emulators and type the following (hit enter after each line):

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img

reboot recovery

12. ilikefishes

ilikefishes New Member

Thanks Bayou, it still did not go into recovery. The same thing keeps happening. I get to the M logo and it stays there for awhile. Then it looks like it will kick into recovery like it should, but the M logo comes up again and then it reboots. Still have Froyo .4 and am becoming agitated as to what I might have done to make it do this. I have been an exclusive BB fan since I started flashing Rom's. Thanks for trying.

On an off topic, how is your fishing holding up where you are? I hear it is a real mess down there. Hope you are having better luck than others I have spoken with. Have a great day.
  13. romeov

romeov New Member

I just read this reply and thought I myself was talking, heh. I'm the original poster with the original problem, just to be clear, but it looks like ilikefishes and I are in the same boat (except he on 0.4 and me trying to get to it)

I also cannot get back in to recovery no matter what I try. I have tried every one of these suggestions and nothing works.. this is so frustrating! All I do is swap recovery modes, I have gone through every single Clockwork version all the way down the list.. and gone to SPrecovery between each.. literally, nothing. My next step is to uninstall Rom Manager, I think this may help.
  14. BayouFlyFisher

I know this probably will not have any impact on your problem, but I would consider 1) run pete's script "Droidboot". I don't have much faith in that, but I would def try it because it's easy. 2) I would go into Rom Manger and reflash SpRecovery over and over until it loads very, very quickly.

And here's another goofy suggestion/thought: Are you sure your X key is working? If it isn't, all you're doing is rebooting your phone each time.

All right, I'm out of ideas (even bad ones!!).

Fresh water fishing has been great except for the rains that come almost every afternoon and results in lots of muddy water. When the water is clear though, fly fishing has been good (bass, bream, etc.).

Saltwater: I normally fish the marshes north of Grand Isle and all the areas I fish are currently closed. The areas that aren't closed have been producing really well though (Speckled Trout and Redfish).
  15. BayouFlyFisher

I just had another thought: could this be a permissions problem. Try running pete's permissions fix script.
  16. romeov

romeov New Member

SUCCESS! I followed these instructions:

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img

reboot recovery

And after the second try, it worked!Beautiful sweet recovery, how I have missed you!

Now my question is, how do I install BB 0.4 with this recovery? I know it's not the newest SPrecovery, is that bad? Do I just go to install, then install rom from SD card or do I rename the 0.4 zip to update.zip and install that way? thanks guys!
  17. BayouFlyFisher

Rename the file update.zip and put it on the Sdcard (not in a folder). Then in SpRecovery select Install, allow update.zip installation, install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)

In case you didn't know the navigation instructions are in the red print on SpRecovery.

Also, I thought this was the most current sprecovery version
  18. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Oops! already answer by somebody
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  19. romeov

romeov New Member

Up and running on 0.4, thanks guys!
  20. ilikefishes

ilikefishes New Member

Are you able to back up? Thanks,
Search tags for this page