Cant find music or gallery after ICS Update to Droid Bionic

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Tech Support' started by shoelessjosh, Oct 24, 2012.

1. shoelessjosh

shoelessjosh New Member

Please help. I updated my Droid Bionic last night to Ice Cream Sandwich. I started the download around 6pm. By 4am, it still said "Upgrading Media Database." At this point, i took out the battery and put it back in. Seems to be working fine-ish. However, i cant access any of the the pictures in my gallery or any of my music. I tried taking out the SD card and rebooting. Then powering off and putting my SD Card back in. Still nothing. I also noticed in my list of apps, there is a red outline on the top right corner of "My Music" and "My Gallery."

I have never rooted my phone. I would prefer not to do a factory reset, especially if that involved reinstalling all of my apps. Can anyone please please help me figure out how to once again access my music and photos?

One other thing i noticed is that it has taken a much longer time to charge my phone after the ICS update.

Thanks again.
  2. jayrod

jayrod New Member

By pulling the battery I'm sorry to say..you'll need to do an FDR. Since you're not rooted you can't back up your apps and app settings. Have you connected your phone to a computer to see if you can copy pics. and music? If you can just copy those folders to your computer,FDR then copy those folders back.
  3. shoelessjosh

shoelessjosh New Member

With a factory reset, i will have to reinstall all of my apps and re-customize my phone, right? Is it possible to do this without having to reinstall all of my apps?
  4. sst45jeff

sst45jeff Member

Yes you will have to completely reset up your phone if you d a FDR.

The red outline indicates motocast file. (similar to zumocast but updated version that is not completely functional on Bionic like zumocast.)

When you say cant access - I am assuming wont open up ?

You can try a couple of things before doing a FDR.
    1. go into manage apps & find the gallery app & music app click on them & clear cache & data for the app.
    this fixed my wife's camera app that would not open.

2. boot into recovery mode & do a system cache & data clear.
    This will wipe out any data associated with all your apps and system info so they can start clean.
    Some of these files appear to be getting corrupted when the ICS update is applied for some.

If that does not work there is a thread that specifically address the media issue that may help.
  5. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Has anyone been able access photos and music via a third party app, or is the battery pull corrupting it completly?
  6. shoelessjosh

shoelessjosh New Member

I was not yes able to plug it in a computer - but i did put my SD card in a different phone and was able to access all of my music/photos on the other phone.

My phone is not rooted.

Cant access = wont open and cant play music or look at any photos on any app on my phone.

Also, unrelated, but with medium use of my phone, it went from 100% battery to 50% battery in less than 2 hours. Whats the deal with that?
  7. billm21

billm21 New Member

I am having the identical problem, so you are not alone. My phone was also churning on and on with the "Upgrading Media Database" until I took it off the charger for about 15 minutes and the battery uncharged completely. Obviously this is a flaw in the ICS upgrade that was provided to us. I'm hoping there are other ways to fix without doing a complete factory reset. How many other users had the same experience? For those of you who haven't yet upgraded, BEWARE!
  8. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

The phone needs to be powered off and on a few times to let the update settle in. You might want to clear your cache.

I don't know if this will work, but maybe remove the sd card and transfer all the music, pictures and folders to your pc. Then replace the sd card and let the phone format it. Then move the stuff back. There should be a new LOST file appear so, don't try to put the old one in.

Unfortunately it seems that if you have a lot of music, the "Updating Media Database" can take hours. I have about 15 songs and 99 videos, but the install itself took about 40 minutes.

The best solution at the moment is to temporally move the music to your pc until the update is installed.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. CMD130

CMD130 New Member

Let me step in and ask, my intention is not to hijack but is related.

Let me state, like an idiot, I did not back up.

Have I lost all my photos if I did what the original poster did?

Please tell me my photos are still on my phone somewhere.

I will be heart-broken if my photos are gone!

Thanks.
  10. simiangrudge

simiangrudge New Member

You try opening the apps manager and clearing data and cache for Gallery and My Music after a force stop?
  11. shoelessjosh

shoelessjosh New Member

Thank you to everyone that posted a reply. Last night, I did a factory data reset. While extremely annoying and time consuming to reset my preferences, apps, etc... Its all in working order this morning with all of my music, photos and data restores. Motorola/Google/Verizon etc should try and figure out a way to make sure this doesnt happen again in the future.

Thanks again for your help.
  12. billm21

billm21 New Member

I also did a factory reset last evening and it went much more smoothly than I anticipated. My photos from my gallery even reappeared. Google had backed up what applications I had downloaded, and started reloading them without any action on my part. I had to reset preferences and set up my email client again, but it wasn't too much effort.
  13. mommadarla

mommadarla New Member

How do I do a factory reset? I am having the same problems....can't access pictures or music. I can't even use my camera, instagram, or any other camera app. My battery drains so fast and my phone gets really hot. SO frustrated!!!
  14. billm21

billm21 New Member

Go to System Settings and then to Privacy. There will be an option to select "Factory data reset"
  15. Indiana Joe

Indiana Joe New Member

I am also having the same issues except I have an additional problem of not being able to access any apps after the letter "m." Odd. I did not unplug or pull the battery..it took almost two hrs for the ICS update but I had just let it do its thing. VERY frustrating indeed, to not have apps, music, or photos.
  16. talkinsilence

talkinsilence New Member

I had the same issue, not having my music or pictures. I turned my phone of and back on about 8 times and got all my pictures and music back. I also did this on my daughters phone and got all of her data back as well.
  17. Caren4u2

Caren4u2 New Member

I had someone help me the other day on a similar issue. If you are able to locate your apps by going into Menu/settings/Manage Apps......and if you were to back out all the way out...then by going into your App Drawer and finding you are missing Icons...then I have an answer. Given to me by another Droid Forum User....inside the App Drawer...click on the All Apps tab in the upper LH corner. You should find a pop up box.....Click on all apps. I think the new download gas it set to only show frequently used apps.
  18. Indiana Joe

Indiana Joe New Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried a number of things, to no avail. Finally, I saved my pics and music to my laptop then my apps to the Google cloud and did a factory reset. Took about two hours but everything works fine now.
  19. paulgunther

paulgunther New Member

I just did the upgrade yesterday and had the exact thing happen. I foolishly started the upgrade with only 20% battery life, but at least i plugged it in the charger first. Apparently, this upgrade taxes the battery so much that the charger couldn't keep up with the drain speed and the phone shut down while I was waiting out the "Upgrading Media Database" message. So I ended up with the same result as you... photo gallery won't see my photos and My Music won't see see my songs. I have about 200 HD photos and around 1000 songs.

My solution is very simple. Open your "My Music" app before you go to bed (plug in the charger!) and don't touch it 'til morning. When I woke up, I now had all my music and photos available. NO FACTORY RESET NEEDED!!! It just takes time for the apps to index your library... be patient!

Hope this helps, 'cause they sure don't warn you before you press "ok" to upgrade on your phone.
  20. bionic207

bionic207 New Member

Wow glad i didn't have these issues I would've lost my cool. I freaked when I accidentally wiped the data for go launcher and was pissed I had to set that back up LOL.Hope every one gets everything sorted out. Phone is so much better now. Except the battery.
Search tags for this page
android lost music after update
cant find gallery on bionic
droid bionic gallery disappear

droid bionic gallery not working

droid bionic music won't update
droid bionic where did my music icon go?
droid bionic wont play music from sd card
droid x2 photo recovery after fdr
gallery on droid bionic
help my music wont play after update droid bionic
how do i copy a song from play music on motorola bionic
my bionic has updated and now i can't move music from my pho
no gallery droid bionic
where is my music on my droid bionic
why does gallery not see all pictures on my bionic