can't find any kernal that works and allows overclocking with CM6

smokecrops

Reaction score
just updated to CM6 stable, and I've tried about a dozen different kernals and none of them will even boot up much less allow setcpu to overclock....I just need some info on what ones are for sure working with CM6 Stable, so i can start trying them out....any help would be great, you guys are really good about replying fast and being very helpful

UNC

Reaction score
Chevysno1, jdlfg, P3droid, and slayhers newest kernels all work I believe. Stay at like 1ghz or less for optimum stability.

OP
S

smokecrops

Reaction score
I was really hoping for a low voltage one, but none of the p3droid kernels worked and I can't access the chevyno1 from ROMloader for some reason...any ideas on a low voltage kernel that works with CM6?

Last edited:

heleos

Reaction score
I was really hoping for a low voltage one, but none of the p3droid kernels worked and I can access the chevyno1 from ROMloader for some reason...any ideas on a low voltage kernel that works with CM6?

I believe all the kernels he listed above have LV versions.... If you can't even boot, are you trying to use too high of a clock speed? Or maybe too low of a voltage

OP
S

smokecrops

Reaction score
ok cool cool, very cool, question, how do I install a different kernel after I try one out? Do i have to do a system restore? or is there an easier way? thanks in advance, again you guys never fail to impress me with your quick responses....

Sniper_5

Reaction score
You can just flash over them from my understanding. I've never had a problem doing this. What recovery are you using? made a stock backup? and a backup of your current ROM while its stable?

Sent from my D1 on UD @ 1.2Ghz

OP
S

smokecrops

Reaction score
im using clockwork, I forgot to make a stock backup, and I didn't make a rooted backup, so if you know anywhere to get a ROM of either of those that would be great, but I do have a backup of working stable CM6 pre-kernel....thank you so much for your help, also any hints on where I should start with all these kernels

OP
S

smokecrops

Reaction score
Also got one more question regarding kernels, should I be clearing cache when i install these using clockwork? I read over on droidlife not to...but that was just when installing bekit Kernels or should I do that for all kernel installs?

Sniper_5

Reaction score
ROM manager has stock ROM's rooted and non. I use it for just about everything. Make sure you enable advanced mode under settings. You may need the " pro" version for this. I've never had the regular version. As far as a starting point. 800mhz is typically stable at any voltage on most phones from my time wandering the forums. If your fine on ultra low @ 800, step up to the next kernel at ul. Chevy's kernels are great for finding your limits as he has a good selection and everything is labelled. If the next mhz up gives you problems, go to low voltage before giving up on the frequency. Continue this process until you hit a point where your satisfied. Remember. Higher voltage will require more battery. So once you move to a medium kernel you'll be sacrificing battery for performance.

OP
S

smokecrops

Reaction score
ok question where do i get a stock ROM from Rom manager at?..anyways...i found that jdlfg 1266 low voltage set to max high and max low runs perfect, no hot temps great battery life and a super speed increase...thank you again...

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!

Sniper_5

Reaction score
ROM manger> download ROM> stock images. Note: when making a backup in ROM manager do NOT put spaces, or punctuation of any kind in the name. You won't be able to flash the backup until you rename it without them. I found out the hard way.

UNC

Reaction score
ok question where do i get a stock ROM from Rom manager at?..anyways...i found that jdlfg 1266 low voltage set to max high and max low runs perfect, no hot temps great battery life and a super speed increase...thank you again...

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!

Are you using setCPU? If you are, a better setup would be 1266 max and maybe 300 min set to ondemand or interactive. You'll find that things like the browser sometimes act up under a heavy overclock, also streaming audio will cause your CPU to get hot at that high of a clock speed. I usually run p3droids 1100mhz and set it to 1100 max/125 min with a screen off profile of 400max/125min set for. performance. That combo seems to give me the best battery life/performance.

OP
S

smokecrops

Reaction score
anyone know about clearing the cache prior to flashing the kernel? yay or nay?