Can't eliminate a space before @ in mail

sussertown

Reaction score
When I type in an email address into a form the @ sign types with a space in front of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Could be brushing the space bar? Or, if using auto-fill, it commonly puts a space after a word.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Or, if you tell us which keyboard app are you using (the stock one, or one that you installed) we could find out if there are any known bugs causing the issue. I know SwiftKey had a bug one time where a space would always be inserted between the dot (.)and 'com' when typing an email address, regardless of settings.

OP
S

sussertown

Reaction score
Could be brushing the space bar? Or, if using auto-fill, it commonly puts a space after a word.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.
Neither is correct. This is an ongoing problem and the reason for the post.

OP
S

sussertown

Reaction score
Or, if you tell us which keyboard app are you using (the stock one, or one that you installed) we could find out if there are any known bugs causing the issue. I know SwiftKey had a bug one time where a space would always be inserted between the dot (.)and 'com' when typing an email address, regardless of settings.
I'm using the on board keyboard.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add to your title of "@" so more people may be able to understand the problem.

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
I just tested this with my Droid Maxx and the stock keyboard. It did not insert a space before the "@". Is this happening to you after certain typed phrases? I know that the keyboard does some predictive replacements - maybe this particular phrase is in your on-board dictionary?

You can check the personal dictionary. From home, settings, language and input. Tap the control icon next to "Google keyboard", it's the first entry under "TEXT CORRECTION". If you have something in there that you don't want, you can remove it. Or, if it's not that, maybe it's the auto-correction; try setting that to "none" and see if the problem goes away. Or, if it's not that, under "Advanced settings", try turning off "Suggest contact names".

(FWIW, I use Swiftkey myself, and that stupid space after the period and before something like "com" keeps happening in almost every app. Swiftkey does sometimes sense that you are typing a URL or email address and will not do the replacement, but if I am trying to type somebody's email address in the body of a mail message, it's always period, backspace, com. It drives me crazy; I'm quite happy hitting the space myself when I want it. Too bad the stock keyboard isn't better.)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Looks like you have some options to check. Let us know if it gets resolved.

OP
S

sussertown

Reaction score
I'll check the dictionary. This does not occur in the address bar.

QUOTE=doogald;2523987]I just tested this with my Droid Maxx and the stock keyboard. It did not insert a space before the "@". Is this happening to you after certain typed phrases? I know that the keyboard does some predictive replacements - maybe this particular phrase is in your on-board dictionary?

You can check the personal dictionary. From home, settings, language and input. Tap the control icon next to "Google keyboard", it's the first entry under "TEXT CORRECTION". If you have something in there that you don't want, you can remove it. Or, if it's not that, maybe it's the auto-correction; try setting that to "none" and see if the problem goes away. Or, if it's not that, under "Advanced settings", try turning off "Suggest contact names".

(FWIW, I use Swiftkey myself, and that stupid space after the period and before something like "com" keeps happening in almost every app. Swiftkey does sometimes sense that you are typing a URL or email address and will not do the replacement, but if I am trying to type somebody's email address in the body of a mail message, it's always period, backspace, com. It drives me crazy; I'm quite happy hitting the space myself when I want it. Too bad the stock keyboard isn't better.)[/QUOTE]

doogald

Reaction score
I'll check the dictionary. This does not occur in the address bar.

Yes, I probably should have been more clear. I tried it in a few locations - within a note in Google Keep, typing the address in the address bar of a mail message in Gmail, and within the body of a mail message, as if you wanted to send somebody's email address within an email. It never put the space before the "@" in any of those cases on my phone.