Cant Download SPrecovery..

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Black_diamond, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Black_diamond

Black_diamond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading on this forum for some time and have finally decided to create an accout! I have been heming and hauling around trying to figure out it i want to ROOT or not, and i have decided that i want to.. I have downloaded all the proper files..The 64 bit moto driver, RSD-lite..etc.

But for some reason i cant download the SPrecovery file that i need to downgrade to 2.1 and beable to Root..

Can anyone lead me in the right direction or lead a hand in helping me download it.

Thanks in advance.

2. wingsabr

wingsabr Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Black_diamond

Black_diamond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know all the steps and have all that stuff downloaded and want to do it but i can not download the SPRecovery_ESE81 my computer dosnt recognize the file for some reason..i need to know if there is a file that i can download..im running windows vista.?? Im stumped

4. eliassami5

eliassami5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    try using a different browser? like firefox or chrome or something else then what you are using atm.

5. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Huh strange I used firefox and it worked if you arnt using it then give that a try. If you already have firefox yet it still doesn't work than make sure you have the latest firefox.

6. Black_diamond

Black_diamond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i tried with firefox, and where is the best place to download it to or open with?

Sorry but i dont want to screw this part up!

Thanks,

7. eliassami5

eliassami5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    say what? You shouldn't have to open the zip file...and its pretty much impossible to screw this up

8. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    Your computer shouldn't have to recognize the file to download it. You aren't running it on your computer, you will be using RSDLite to access it.

Download it to the computer, install RSDlite and the appropriate USB drivers for your computers OS, boot in to the bootloader of your phone and use RSDlite to flash the .sbf file to your phone.

9. Black_diamond

Black_diamond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so all i have to do is SAVE it to my computer and run RSDlite.?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

10. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    First...and not to sound mean, if you are having this much trouble downloading a file I suggest taking a break from trying to do it..... and read more about how to do it...and especially know "what" you will be doing.

Rooting is unbelievably easy, a 2 minute process at most if you have everything ready...and you should not attempt to root until you have everything ready.

You'll notice update.zip is a common name....it's the file name required by SPRecovery when installing a .zip file. update.zip could be a 2.1 rom, a 2.2 rom, a package containing just SU with Superuser.apk, etc... You have to have the one you want to use so be specific in your searches and not just for something named update.zip.

Also, you do not downgrade anymore so toss that term out. The SPRecoveryESE81.sbf file is "SPRecovery" (a recovery application) packaged into a flashable .sbf file as flashing the .sbf gets around not being able to install SPRecovery on the 2.1-update1 ROMs.

Your phone has a recovery image on it......you are just replacing that with a different one that will allow you to install unsigned .zip files (a rom .zip or a root .zip.....of course named update.zip).

Without detail here is what you need to do:

Download all the files you need to your computer. RSDLite, the proper USB drivers for your computer's OS (64bit or 32bit), the SPRecoveryES81.sbf file and the ROM of your choice in SPRecovery format (named update.zip). You could also choose to just root your 2.1 stock ROM using the root (named also.... update.zip)

After having all the files you need, I suggest copying the rom you want (named update.zip) to your phones SD Card to have it ready to go. If you have Windows set to "hide known extensions", and by default it is, you can't see the .zip extension as it "hides it" so make sure the file is not really named update.zip.zip.

Follow the guides you have from there on. Again....read, understand/know what you are doing and have everything ready before actually starting. All software downloaded, all software installed and enough understanding of the steps you are following.

I did my sister's phone and her husband's phone last night. It was probably 2 minutes each at most to have flashed the .sbf file and started the ROM install. This was because I had everything ready to go as I did my brother's phone a few weeks earlier.

11. Black_diamond

Black_diamond Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got it guys thanks for all the help...im now running Bugless BeastV0.4

Thanks Again sorry for the Newb Questions!