can't delete text thread, 1969 problem

jpalos7

Reaction score
Every time i delete a text thread it goes to the bottom of my text feed and shows "no subject", it also has the same name of the person it was originally to. I try to delete it again and it won't go anywhere, I cleared app data and uninstalled GoSms and reinstalled it but nothing was fixed. I even looked in the default text app and the same thing is going in there. It's really frustrating, I have yet to run into a solution just others frustrations like mine.please help

OP
J

jpalos7

Reaction score
Oh I forgot all of the threads that won't delete have the date 12/31/1969.

FoneHome

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4
I get a notification from Verizon time-to-time with the same date on it as well...

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Try uninstalling Gosms, deleting the thread(s) in stock messaging, clearing data for stock messaging, then immediately reboot your phone.

joelbon

Reaction score
Oh I forgot all of the threads that won't delete have the date 12/31/1969.

I fixed this on my niece's phone today. Start the phone in Safe Mode, go into the text messaging app and you will notice that all those texts will be gone.
I figure what happened is a 3rd party app was causing a problem and by starting in Safe Mode it allowed the Text Messaging app to get rid of these ghost texts. Hope this helps.

RealTreeT

Reaction score
I started having this problem just a couple days ago, not sure what started it but I ended up with four threads dated 1969 that I couldn't delete. I read through various forums which suggested a number of fixes but nothing worked.

I did mange to fix it myself though, or at least it's fixed for now. I did this about an hour ago and have rx/tx about 50 SMS since then with no return of the bug.

Download SMS Backup & Restore and back up your messages if you want to keep any of them, this fix will wipe EVERYTHING from the messaging app.

From the Messaging app thread list, press Menu and select Delete Threads. It will ask you to confirm that you want to delete all threads. Say "yes" obviously and bye bye stuck threads from 1969. Of course, bye bye to all the other threads too but that's why you made a backup. From SMS B&R, restore your messages and you should get everything back, minus the 1969 threads.

Your mileage may vary on this one so try it at your own risk. Don't complain to me when you delete that thread with the hottie from the bar the other night. You know, the one with all the pictures she sent you?