Can't delete SMS, date shows Dec 31, 1969?

OP
gszeman

gszeman

Reaction score
Ok, so I found out why it happens...but I still can't figure out how to delete them! If I select an entire thread and delete the thread...it shows up at the bottom of my list as an empty thread with the date of Dec 31, 1969. There has to be somewhere on the phone that keeps a trace of these texts...anyone know where I might look?

I am speaking of texts, not e-mails.

LT*

Reaction score
I have this same issue with texts. 12/31/69 at 19:00, 5 messages. Four are from unknown sources, and one is from my mortgage guy. I don't even have the option to try and delete them anymore. :icon_evil: Did you ever find a fix?

Ag In Texas

Reaction score
I am having the same problem.... anytime I delete an entire thread it goes to the bottom with a date of Dec. 31, 1969. Has the senders info but no body to the messages. Kinda frustrating.

Ag In Texas

Reaction score
Anything new on this?

I have tried restarting and pulling the battery. Neither worked..... really don't want to have to reset the thing again. Had to do it once already when the vibrate mode quit working.

nikkik

Reaction score
Got a replacement new Droid from Verizon. Added K9 app because the email app that came with the phone was not working properly. With K9 and new phone, I'm getting the 12/31/69 messages less often and able to delete them. Better, but not solved.

sam5828

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and my messages were all deleted no more 1969 and i can delete them now thank god.....

sam5828

Reaction score
Got a x and it is doing the same thing. What is going on? Any clue?

seventieslord

Reaction score
Was there ever a documented solution to this? I am experiencing the same problem.

my SMS database is corrupt and won't seem to restore properly from my old phone to my droid. It restores, but i can't send new messages or delete threads.

jpalos7

Reaction score
I am having the same problem

When I delete a text thread it goes to the bottom of my inbox and says "no subject"but still have the persons name in the designated area and when i try to delete it again it just stays there. They all date 12/31/1969. This is frustrating had anyone come up with a solution?

Jeana

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my texts. Out of the blue today they decided they were not going to delete and the date says Dec 31, 1969. I went to Verizon and they told me the only thing I could do is go back to factory settings. Well let me tell you I've had my fill of these Motorola phones!!! I bought the RAZR Maxx back in April. Everything was fantastic about it until ICS came out, then there went the battery!!! The main reason for shelling out the EXTRA 50 bucks!! The "fix" was coming in August then September. Well it's the last day of October and STILL no fix. Then today this nice little texting issue decides to pop up. If anybody has any explanations or fixes on this texting problem I'd sure appreciate it. Before this phone I had the "great" Droid X that the keyboard froze up on constantly. I keep being told that these are "glitches" :mad:

joewyno

Reaction score
Razar Maxx

Mine started acting up as well on Tuesday night. I would delete an SMS and it would create an empty message at the bottom of the screen with the date 12-31-69. I talked to Verizon last night and I made the tech person research it on the net as VERIZON claims to have never heard of it before. He was amazed at how mnay others had the same issue. I got the WE CAN SEND YOU A REPLACEMNT PHONE OR YOU WILL HAVE TO FACTORY RESET THE PHONE speech. I have also had issues with email doing this and have had to use K9 in as a work around for the problem.

deej36

Reaction score
can't delete texts from 1969...

I'm having the same problem with no apparent solution in site...all my deleted texts remain in my active list and I cant delete them no matter what I try...

RealTreeT

Reaction score
I have a RAZR Maxx as well...

I started having this problem just a couple days ago, not sure what started it but I ended up with four threads dated 1969 that I couldn't delete. I read through various forums which suggested a number of fixes but nothing worked.

I did mange to fix it myself though, or at least it's fixed for now. I did this about an hour ago and have rx/tx about 50 SMS since then with no return of the bug.

Download SMS Backup & Restore and back up your messages if you want to keep any of them, this fix will wipe EVERYTHING from the messaging app.

From the Messaging app thread list, press Menu and select Delete Threads. It will ask you to confirm that you want to delete all threads. Say "yes" obviously and bye bye stuck threads from 1969. Of course, bye bye to all the other threads too but that's why you made a backup. From SMS B&R, restore your messages and you should get everything back, minus the 1969 threads.

Your mileage may vary on this one so try it at your own risk. Don't complain to me when you delete that thread with the hottie from the bar the other night. You know, the one with all the pictures she sent you?

jpalos7

Reaction score
Hell yea our worked for me thanks man, can't tell you awesome it is to finally get that crap cleared up at least for now.