Can't delete Google Contact Group

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
I apologize if this is being posted in the wrong forum, or has already been answered (I couldn't find anything when I did a search).

I read through some previous posts on here on how to fix the Google Calendar sync issue (on the Droid2 for Verizon), and it worked great! When I was done, I deleted the secondary gmail account I created just for this purpose.

However, when I'm in Contacts, and I press the Contact Title Bar, this secondary Google account is still listed as a system group. How do I delete it??

I appreciate the help in this...it's been driving me nuts!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I saw someone post recently that they fixed this via Factory Reset...possibly the phone doesn't "forget" that old info until you do that.

OP
L

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
I'm hoping there's another way. To do that would be a royal pain in the butt, considering how much has been done to the phone already.

Are there any apps that would work to delete this??

EDIT: I'm not sure if this'll help, but it seems to be of a "ghost" account than a group issue. I've tried clearing the GMail data files, as well as the Account data files, but it still shows up. Ugh! This is SO frustrating!!

Last edited:

LostSkooter

Reaction score
SOLUTION: I found this very annoying and solved it very easily. First. Go into settings, accounts. Click your google account. Unchek "Contacts" for what gets synced. Click sync. It'll now sync your mail and calendar. Leaving this unchecked. Go to gmail (on a PC). On the left click "Contacts". Select ALL contacts, click more options, then delete. Now, go back to your phone "Check" Contacts. Resync, poof, they should be gone from your droid.

LostSkooter

Reaction score
Also, once you do this "uncheck" contacts again so it doesn't do it again one day

OP
L

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to get rid of any contacts...this particular ID didn't have any.

Anyway, I messed with this for a few days, trying various things, and nothing worked...even the above suggestion. Then, a day or so ago, I rebooted the phone, and it was suddenly gone. Go figure. I had no idea Android was so Microsoftish.

dan-o

Reaction score
This is pretty simple. First go to your contact list. Select "Contacts:All Contacts" at the top. It will open another menu. Select the "Group" you want to edit or delete. Next hit the menu that brings up the settings (4 little squares in the lower left of the phone). Select the MORE option. Then hit Delete Group. Hope this helps.

OP
L

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
Except that there was no delete option when I looked.

Anyway, this is a moot point now, as the problem has been resolved.

jdpostier

Reaction score
Deleting Contact Groups

I DID IT!
My solution will delete all contacts, but I wanted a fresh start. I had many categories from Outlook (even from my tasks and notes).

I tried all of these tips but they didn't work for my DroidX.
To avoid a hard reset I opened the menu on the home screen, selected SETTINGS and then APPLICATIONS.
Then select MANAGE APPLICATIONS
On the top of the screen select "ALL" (there are four options)
Scroll down to CONTACTS
There are 6 applications related to contacts on my phone: Contacts, Contacts Storage, Contacts Sync...
Individually open them each up and CLEAR DATA on each one.

There may be a way to avoid losing all you contacts by clearing data on only one of the 6 programs, but I didn't investigate. Before all of this I deleted all contacts on the gmail website.
MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOU CONTACTS ONTO A DATA FILE SOMEWHERE FIRST. Good luck... Jim