can't decide between Droid2 or R2D2

cheers007

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm a happy Droid 1 owner and I'm somewhat ready to upgrade since I'm hearing how much faster the new Droids are. I'm not a hardcore user in the fact that I need to root my phone to do anything, I'm pretty happy with the "out of the box" setup.

I keep going back and forth on the question of whether or not to get the R2D2 edition or just regular D2. I'd love to get everyone's input on this as I'm sure I'm not the only one with this conundrum.

*As a side question, does the R2D2 still have the "DROID" sound available? I still want my text message notifications to be the "DROID" :wink:

jellybean420

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm a happy Droid 1 owner and I'm somewhat ready to upgrade since I'm hearing how much faster the new Droids are. I'm not a hardcore user in the fact that I need to root my phone to do anything, I'm pretty happy with the "out of the box" setup.

I keep going back and forth on the question of whether or not to get the R2D2 edition or just regular D2. I'd love to get everyone's input on this as I'm sure I'm not the only one with this conundrum.

*As a side question, does the R2D2 still have the "DROID" sound available? I still want my text message notifications to be the "DROID" :wink:

Well if you use your phone the way its comes the only difference I see between them is looks and price lol. But id go for the reg D2

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jellybean420

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Also pretty sure that ringtone is standard with all droids

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score
This is simple. Do you really want to be walking around with a phone that looks like R2D2?

With the R2D2 phone you will never get lucky again!

OP
cheers007

cheers007

Reaction score
MrKleen, it may seem like a simple decision, but it really isn't if you think about it. While I'm not a Star Wars fan, I still like the movies plus the phone is quite unique. I'm fascinated with robots and androids (but I'm more of a Lt. Data from Star Trek guy than a R2D2 guy) however, I'm interested to hear what everyone's opinion is.

To answer your question Kleen, I wouldn't mind at all walking around with a R2D2 phone.

TheRealKrobar

Reaction score
Also, if you're gonna get a case then why bother with the R2D2? If you're not gonna get a case you risk damaging R2!!!! Then how will we get those hyperdrive motivators locked down again?!?!?

(Most of the R2D2 stuff internal seems to be available online too, so while the Star Wars nerd in me wanted it, it really doesn't make sense for an extra 100 bucks or whatever!)

MrKleen

Reaction score
MrKleen, it may seem like a simple decision, but it really isn't if you think about it. While I'm not a Star Wars fan, I still like the movies plus the phone is quite unique. I'm fascinated with robots and androids (but I'm more of a Lt. Data from Star Trek guy than a R2D2 guy) however, I'm interested to hear what everyone's opinion is.

To answer your question Kleen, I wouldn't mind at all walking around with a R2D2 phone.

There is an R2D2 rom available with all that extra stuff including the sounds. You could load the R2D2 rom right on your regular D2. Of course that would require rooting and all that stuff. Just something extra to think about!

DevMan

Reaction score
The hardware is exactly the same between R2 and D2. The R2D2 version is special for Star Wars nerds. If you are one of us, that's the way to go!

You can get a clear case for it and still show it off, fully protected. Your nerdy friends won't be able to get enough of R2. My neighbor is constantly sending me txts when I'm nearby just so he can hear it and rave to his buddies and GF about my phone. Everyone asks questions and it makes me feel cool and respected by my peers. Then, I show off the hyperspace live wallpaper...

As to the getting lucky comment, my girl isn't a Star Wars fan, but my choice of phone hasn't stopped anything... Self-confidence is the key. Don't be afraid of who you are!

Not quite the droid we've been looking for since 1978, but you don't need an X-Wing to carry this one around ;)

OP
cheers007

cheers007

Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's input. This is the stuff I'm looking for.

Dev- you are spot on when you say don't be afraid of who you are. Like I said, too bad there isn't a Starfleet edition phone or I would have bought it already in a heart beat.

Kleen- you have a great point in rooting and flashing the droid with the R2 rom. I will consider that, however, if I were to go that route, there's no end for me on what I want to try.

I am trying my best to keep life simple by staying in the box.

eggsped

Reaction score
K

There is an R2D2 rom available with all that extra stuff including the sounds. You could load the R2D2 rom right on your regular D2. Of course that would require rooting and all that stuff. Just something extra to think about!

I would get the D2 and flash it with the R2D2 Rom, I did this when I had my D2 and found I quickly tired of th SW stuff. In the end the only thing I really liked was the SW unlock. I would save the $100. If you end up really liking it look for a SW case.

Edit: I realize I'm in the minority but I didn't notice much of a speed improvement going from the D1 to the D2 to the DX. In fact my D1 with ultimat droid 2 is really really smooth.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Benz-Driver

Reaction score

Would this ROM work on european GSM Droid/Milestone 2?

HelpeRX

Reaction score
Regarding

Why not go for a droid 2 global? It has a faster processor!

OP
cheers007

cheers007

Reaction score
neo, I actually thought about it but I heard many reports that the phone gets too hot. Not sure if that's from the quad band radio or the faster chip, or even the combination of both.