Can't connect

Doctorstu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto z force droid
Evening all,
When i pug my Moto z force droid into my desktop i get nothing. I have the phone USB configuration set to MTP. When i check the quick acess on my computer everything but phone shows up. Any suggestions?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Z Force Droid didn't come with a data USB-C cable. It came with a one piece charger cable combo. The USB-C cable you are using probably isn't built for data connection and built for charging only. You may have to try another cable. This is a common problem with cheap (or cheaply made) aftermarket USB-C cables. It works fine on all my Moto Z phones using the shielded USB-C cables I found on Amazon a few years ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do you have WiFi available? The Moto Z File Manager app does offer a peer to peer WiFi ad-hoc network directly to your computer if you have a WiFi router. Open the File Manager app > Overflow menu (hamburger menu) > Remote Management and follow the on screen prompts. It works really well to move files back & forth without the need for a data cable.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's not cheap. Come on now. The Z Force comes with a 30W wall charger and two piece cables in 2016 couldn't handle 30W so we got a one piece wall charger cable unit. But they gave us the ability to move files back & forth with a computer via a WiFi network. Not sure how that's cheap.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum doctorstu. . I'm sure we can get you connected to your PC eventually. Either with a different cable than you have now or through a WiFi network using the built-in File Manager app.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Do you have WiFi available? The Moto Z File Manager app does offer a peer to peer WiFi ad-hoc network directly to your computer if you have a WiFi router. Open the File Manager app > Overflow menu (hamburger menu) > Remote Management and follow the on screen prompts. It works really well to move files back & forth without the need for a data cable.

Well, I just learned something new today! I have always used a cable. Thanks @Sajo :)

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Evening all,
When i pug my Moto z force droid into my desktop i get nothing. I have the phone USB configuration set to MTP. When i check the quick acess on my computer everything but phone shows up. Any suggestions?
You've definitely checked the screen on your phone and made sure you selected something other than charge? Sorry, I know you said you did, but I've made that mistake a few times, so always ask others. When I forget to change the setting on my phone once it's plugged in, my computer does NOT recognize the phone and nothing happens except a slow charge.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
No data cable???? now that is cheap.
Not cheap, but different. The charger is very well made with a permanent cord attached. It's actually held up longer than any charger I've ever owned -- that says something LOL I personally didn't think it was a big deal since I always have extra cables at work, in my car, and at home. Given all the extras that came with the phone when we purchased them, I don't think Motorola was cheap at all.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Not cheap, but different. The charger is very well made with a permanent cord attached. It's actually held up longer than any charger I've ever owned -- that says something LOL I personally didn't think it was a big deal since I always have extra cables at work, in my car, and at home. Given all the extras that came with the phone when we purchased them, I don't think Motorola was cheap at all.

like you I have extra cables all over the place. I just think moto should at least give some sort of data or bi directional cables. but then that is me :)

OP
D

Doctorstu

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto z force droid
Well here we go.... I went into verizon, plugged into their computer and it all lit right up. i came home and tried the same thing with both of my cables and get nothing. I'll try the WIFI fix later tonight when I have time to fiddle with it some more. The Verizon techs couldn't help other than to say that none of them even own a computer.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Well here we go.... I went into verizon, plugged into their computer and it all lit right up. i came home and tried the same thing with both of my cables and get nothing. I'll try the WIFI fix later tonight when I have time to fiddle with it some more. The Verizon techs couldn't help other than to say that none of them even own a computer.

did you use your own cable at verizon? if so, plug the phone back into your computer and go into disk management on the computer and see if the phone is there. if so it could be considered a removable drive. assuming you have win10 the following is how to get into disk management. let us know if you see the phone in disk management.

7 Ways to Open Disk Management in Windows 10

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Keep us posted doctorstu. Like I said, I'm sure we can help get you connected. Let us know how the File Manager WiFi connection works for you, it has been easy & great for me.