Can't connect to Exchange Server with this build

Canefan

Reaction score
So I was getting bored waiting for BB 0.5 and decided to try a new ROM. This one was getting rave reviews so I loaded it up. All was well until I tried to configure the phone to receive my work Exchange email. I set it up EXACTLY the way I had it on BB and I continually get the message "Can't connect to server". I then reload my BB ROM and it works fine. I even deleted the account on BB and set it up again the way I was setting it up on Sapphire and it works perfectly. I have checked and re-checked my settings a dozen times. They are exactly correct - it just simply doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem??

Edit: I loaded the latest Liquid Frozen Yogurt ROM and it doesn't work either. Is this an FRG22 problem maybe?? BB is an earlier build.

Last edited:

droiddadi

Reaction score
Yes FRG22 problem and any AOSP based ROMs.

Pull email.apk from BB and push it into your current ROM. It works fine

OP
C

Canefan

Reaction score

Thanks. Any way to do that without ADB? I have so far managed to do all of my ROM experimentation without taking the plunge into ADB.

Last edited:

droiddadi

Reaction score

Thanks. Any way to do that without ADB? I have so far managed to do all of my ROM experimentation without taking the plunge into ADB.

No need for ADB. Use root explorer to copy it to /system/apps and change the permissions. Check existing permissions on email.apk before copying the old and apply same prermissions.

If you are on Saphire 1.0 extract email.apk from earlier version of saphire

ellisz

Reaction score
I am glad I read this. Been thinking of switching to this rom myself but I need exchange support. If I copy the current email.apk from bb .04 to the sd card and then overwrite the sapphire email.apk with root explorer, will this fix it all up?

Any other quirks we need to know about? :)

droiddadi

Reaction score
I am glad I read this. Been thinking of switching to this rom myself but I need exchange support. If I copy the current email.apk from bb .04 to the sd card and then overwrite the sapphire email.apk with root explorer, will this fix it all up?

Any other quirks we need to know about? :)

You can pull email.apk from saphire 0.84 rom and push it on saphire 1.0

Make sure you set permissions after copying.

ellisz

Reaction score
Copy. remount, set permissions, unmount. Is that right?

Also, I took a look in the /system/app folder and only saw emailgoogle.apk I can see browser, calculator, etc. but no email.

OP
C

Canefan

Reaction score
Copy. remount, set permissions, unmount. Is that right?

Also, I took a look in the /system/app folder and only saw emailgoogle.apk I can see browser, calculator, etc. but no email.

Here's what I did (using Root Explorer and Titanium):

On Bugless Beast navigate to /system/app and copy emailgoogle.apk.
Navigate to sdcard and Paste emailgoogle.apk.

Restore Sapphire ROM
Run Titanium and enter EMail in Filter, click apply
Go to Backup/Restore and select Email 2.2 and Uninstall it. It will give a warning message but just go ahead and uninstall.
Using Root Explorer go to sdcard and copy emailgoogle.apk
Navigate to /system/app and mount R/W. Paste emailgoogle.apk.
Change Permissions to RW-R--R--
Mount RO
Reboot. Should work now.

ellisz

Reaction score
Alright, I got my exchange working but I have 2 email icons now in my app drawer. After looking in the system/app folder, i have a email.apk and a emailgoogle.apk.

Can I delete one? Does it matter which?

Thanks

captdroid

Reaction score
Alright, I got my exchange working but I have 2 email icons now in my app drawer. After looking in the system/app folder, i have a email.apk and a emailgoogle.apk.

Can I delete one? Does it matter which?

Thanks

Check the version #'s in settings, applications. I would remove the oldest version. Make a copy of it before deleting in case it goes badly so you can move it back and delete the other one. Reboot after removing the one you don't want.

ellisz

Reaction score
Thanks. I could only see email in the applications but I could see email.apk and emailgoogle.apk in system/app. I deleted email.apk since I copied emailgoogle.apk from bb .04 due to issues with exchange. So far so good.