Can't believe I made it this far without being on the other side!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bbohannon, Jun 16, 2010.

1. bbohannon

bbohannon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I must say, I don't know how I've made it this far without using my droid to its potential. I was afraid of rooting or further hacking, but over the last few days I have really accessed the possibilities of the android OS. Thanks to the wealth of information on this forum, I now have a rooted froyo 2.2 phone overclocked to 1.1 ghz. I have the updated baseband and installed flash player 10.1 and I must say, my phone is ridiculously fast! The apps I now have access to and the permissions I am granted has changed my impression of this phone dramatically!

I hope this adds a bit of motivation to those out there on the fence of hacking their phone. It is much easier than you think and coming from someone with zero previous experience in doing so, it really is tough to screw up your phone! Have fun hacking!

2. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I waited quite awhile too, it is a new world....and a completely new phone.

3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Welcome to the "dark side" :icon_ devil:. Like you, I had my phone for about six weeks before I rooted. I was so on the fence. I've never regretted my decision. Like Johnly says - "new world-- new phone"

Enjoy!

Mike

4. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. I had the Eris and was reading up on what to do to root the Droid. Even when I got the phone I waited a few weeks. I used a you tube video to guide me during the process. Now I am very comfortable flashing roms and I have gotten stuck on the Moto symbol and never freaked out. I just figured it out.

Welcome to the realm of potential. Everyone should root their Droid.

5. Comptrgeek

Comptrgeek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Like everyone else, had been pondering for weeks now about rooting, but "nervous" about bricking it...but running froyo and just did a custom rom...why did i wait so long?????

6. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hehehe, I almost envy you guys. 2 hours after my phone arrived I started googling cool stuff to do with my new phone and decided to root. Ive never actually experienced the stock phone.

7. symdev88

symdev88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still on the fence.......

I've had my Droid for 5 or 6 weeks, still unrooted, debating on waiting on Froyo OTA, or just to go ahead and root it. you guys aren't making it any easier, decisions, decisions........

8. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    If you've spent sufficient time reading about rooting then you know that, if you are not happy with the results, then you can go back.

Do your homework and make your decision. Whatever you decide if you need help we are here.

Mike

9. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +4

Don't let anyone pressure you into rooting. Get to know your Droid and think about what you want your Droid to do. Then if your Droid will not do those things stock, root. I had my Droid for 4 months before I rooted and I rooted because I was having performance issues. I am totally glad I rooted but I did a lot of reading and thinking before doing so. Make yourself well informed of the pros and cons before taking that leap.

That is my 2 cents.

10. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the smartest advice you can give anyone that is thinking about rooting. Being educated about the process and knowing your phone might save a few "I bricked my phone"!!! threads.

11. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +4

Hahaha I know right. It seems like we see at least 2 of the "OMG I think my phone is seriously Bricked" threads a week. I don't think I have ever seen a phone really bricked yet.

12. motodroid34

motodroid34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BB next day delivey. Oh yea baby. dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid

One day stock. Well actually 1/2 of a day cuss I got the phone the same day that come out in the after noon and I root it the next day :icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:

13. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    That's definitely good advice. I would figure out what you want your phone to do first, see if you can do it stock (a LOT of things can be done without rooting) and then see if you "need" to root. Honestly, my phone runs quite well unrooted as well as rooted with overclock. There is a difference, but it's not life altering. But it all depends on how you end up using your phone.

14. Wheeler

Wheeler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my phone about 2 months. I just found this website about 1 week ago. I bought my phone off someone and didn't know it was rooted until I tried to install an app yesterday. Now that I know it is rooted I am looking into seeing what all this phone can really do.

15. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto. I purchased this phone with the full intention of rooting it. 7 minutes after it was unboxed and activated it was rooted.