Can't assign speed dial contacts

PhillyB

Reaction score
I've actually got two separate issues that may be related and I only think that because of how similar the "solutions" have been.

I've had my Droid2 just a couple of days now and really like it (replacing an Eris--'nuff said). Setup was a breeze to get everything all customized, except for my corporate email exchange account. On the Eris, I punched in user name, password, domain, etc. and it almost immediately started syncing mail and contacts. I punched in the same info on the D2 as soon as I got it and it wouldn't work, saying the account name was wrong or couldn't find the server or something. I kept trying over a solid 24 hours until finally--for no apparent reason--it just worked. Had the same thing happen with my GM's new DroidX. We were unable to connect to the server for days until one time we just tried and it magically worked.

Likewise, I haven't been able set speed dial contacts until today. I go into the dialer, hit menu, hit "speed dial setup," select a speed dial slot and scroll down to the contact I want, tap on said contact and--voila!--nothing. It leaves the speed dial slot blank. I've been trying for a couple of days now with same results. Then today, did the exact same thing trying to figure out the trick and it magically worked.

So, two separate issues in two parts of the OS, that both just magically worked after a few days of trying and doing nothing differently. Anyone encountered this or similar issues elsewhere in the OS? Any guess as to the cause/correction?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
An alternate way of solving your problems...look into Dialer One in the market...free dialer replacement, supports speed dial, T9 search (narrows down contacts as as you type letters/numbers on dial pad), and other cool stuff. Since I've loaded I've never used the stock dialer again...

carlarenee21

Reaction score
when weird things like that happen, if I turn my phone off and then back on again it will work. I just turned my phone off/on for another issue...and it was fixed. Then after reading your post I checked my speed dial set up and it worked!! (I had the same issue before) you can also go to the dialer and press and hold a number and it will ask you if you want to set a contact for that number.

hawkxp

Reaction score
when weird things like that happen, if I turn my phone off and then back on again it will work. I just turned my phone off/on for another issue...and it was fixed. Then after reading your post I checked my speed dial set up and it worked!! (I had the same issue before) you can also go to the dialer and press and hold a number and it will ask you if you want to set a contact for that number.
Here is how I worked around it...

First, you can do it via the long press on a number from the dialer pad.. OR from the dialer->menu button->speed dial setup.

When you are "searching" for your contact DO NOT enter in any txt. Simply scroll till you find your contact, then select the contact. If the contact has multiple phones, the droid will ask which number to use.

Something is definately broken when you type in the name to search.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

First, you can do it via the long press on a number from the dialer pad.. OR from the dialer->menu button->speed dial setup.

When you are "searching" for your contact DO NOT enter in any txt. Simply scroll till you find your contact, then select the contact. If the contact has multiple phones, the droid will ask which number to use.

I don't see anything wrong with the typing in the name search. What problem are you having, and have you tried using the voice search? Hold the search button down and it will pop up on the screen.

hawkxp

Reaction score

I don't see anything wrong with the typing in the name search. What problem are you having, and have you tried using the voice search? Hold the search button down and it will pop up on the screen.
The search is only broken when using it to add the contact to the speed dial. It works fine otherwise