Can't Answer Calls

pr1s1513

Reaction score
Suddenly, I am unable to slide the "answer bar" across the screen, to answer calls. It won't move. I can see who's calling, and have to call them back. This has just started happening, and occurs about 7 out of 10 incoming calls. The Verizon folks say they have not heard of this, and of course, it works fine when they try it in the retail store.:blackdroid:

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Does the touch screen otherwise work ok? Can you ignore the call with the other slider?

Sounds like the touch screen is failing.

I assume you've already tried rebooting it.
Not sure what other troubleshooting can be done, maybe remove any apps that tie into the phone functions like ringer managers, blacklists/firewalls, etc.

brando56894

Reaction score
Are you rooted? I just posted in a thread this kind of thing is happening to a lot of us, most people have a delay with Caller ID (no name/picture/custom ringtone) but I'm having that problem along with a delay in being able to answer the phone. The phone will ring and it takes about 5-15 seconds for the screen to wake up, and about another 5-15 seconds for the screen to become responsive and about another 5-15 for Caller ID to work correctly.

In the thread it seemed that 90% of the users had this problem while running helix launcher 1 & 2 but some were running either clockwork launcher or Home++. Me thinks it may be a problem with SetCPU.

edit: heres the link to the the I referenced

fertdude

Reaction score
Suddenly, I am unable to slide the "answer bar" across the screen, to answer calls. It won't move. I can see who's calling, and have to call them back. This has just started happening, and occurs about 7 out of 10 incoming calls. The Verizon folks say they have not heard of this, and of course, it works fine when they try it in the retail store.:blackdroid:

My phone does this same thing. I was in the verizon store a few weeks ago and ran into another user having the same problem. How do you answer it?

slinky

Reaction score

My phone does this same thing. I was in the verizon store a few weeks ago and ran into another user having the same problem. How do you answer it?

You don't. I have the same problem. As I pointed out many months ago, unfortunately Google does not seem to have prioritized phone answering as part of the operating system. If the phone is busy doing other stuff, call answering may lag.

I installed the "no swipe" application (mylock tools I think) and it sometimes works or lags several seconds behind the ringing. Sometimes I don't get the swipe screen at all. When I do get it, swiping/hitting the button results in me just missing the call.

My guess? The phone is busy doing something else. I have my email set to check every 30 minutes. Using the SD card, apparently K-9 email client can be rather slow and task intensive. They don't have an auto empty trash and I wonder if you need a lot of space on your SD card to improve speed. If that is doing something, then the phone may decide to wait, rather than pause, until it finishes that task and then it goes back to what it should be doing. Running services (like mylock tools which is a replacement for something that should be stock) are last in order.

This is a huge, huge problem. Blackberry is not plagued by this. Unless Google fixes this ASAP, I'll return to their phones if they ever get the Curve touchscreen done right. All the other bells and whistles and "Goggles" don't make much difference if phone answering isn't top priority.

btbuz

Reaction score
I've had a problem with my droid from the very first day I got it. A call comes in. The screen lights up. The slide buttons are there but I can't move them. They won't budge. It doesn't happen all the time. Some times it will work perfectly. If I accidentally slide my Droid slightly open, it is always impossible to "slide to answer". Since I wear it in a holster, I wonder if I'm hitting a key or sliding it slightly open when I pull it out. If it is sitting on the desk and a call comes in I can pretty reliably answer. I wish Verizon would address the problem. It's obviously not a unique problem.

licensepl8

Reaction score
Sometimes cannot answer

I have had this problem since the first day with the Droid. It was suggested to me by Motorola that the 2.2 Froyo upgrade might alleviate the problem, but it hasn't. It is frustrating. I thought about the slide keyboard being partially open and that was not it. Today I started wondering if perhaps a particular ring tone(s) makes it difficult for the phone and I use the Digital Ringtone from the phones available ring tones. Since it is intermittant, it is going to be difficult to continue trying other ringtones. Does anyone else have a problem with the same ring tone?

cheerupemokid875

Reaction score
I have just started having this problem too..It doesn't happen as often as yours but i noticed if i hit the lock button at the top to turn the screen black and then hit it again it SOMETIMES works. i have been told by the Verizon stores that if they cant duplicate the problem there is nothing they can do. Try calling tech support, i have always had better experiences with them.

btbuz

Reaction score
FYI - I have two work arounds for the problem (which is not fixed with 2.2). The first and simplest is to avoid the problem totally by using a bluetooth ear piece. The second is Ted's Tools from the Market which lets you answer the phone with the camera button or a button on the phone. You're on your own when you want to hang up after a call is completed and the screen's gone blank. I'd like to meet the person who wrote this software. I'd give them a big D-. I guess it isn't verizon. Is Google really this bad?

rjsurfer

Reaction score
I too have this issue from the first day I received my phone, so I know it's not the operating system I have been through 3 upgrades.

It doesn't happen all the time if it did I would surely return the phone to Verizon.

I'm wondering if it might have anything to do with my 3G reception, my signal strength continually wanders all over the place from 3 bars to zero and sometimes dropping to 1X.....next time I can't swipe to open a call I will check to see what the perceived signal strength is.

Bummer, I thought going to 2.2 would cure it.

Ron W.

gsmuhler

Reaction score
The problem is still here. I just got a Droid about a month ago and mine does it too.

SATZINGER

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem;
I like Android but how can a company like Motorola just simply ignore a problem like this?
Since Verizon has the IPhone now, I have a choice and will take it (even though I hate everything Apple).

Christobal

Reaction score
This began happening to my Droid 1 (acquired on launch day) a few weeks ago. I logged in to this board today specifically to see if I could find any hints as to what I can do to remedy the problem. Alas.... :(

licensepl8

Reaction score
Difficulty answering Droid incoming calls

For me the problem turned out to be the case I was using, which had a magnetic clasp. The magnet was turning on my "car mode" constantly and it prevented me from sliding the green bar. I got rid of that case about eight months ago and have not had the problem one time since then. Previously, I had it every time.