Can't answer an incoming call???

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Actually, in my first post I agreed with you that it is an annoyance. I'm sorry you felt attacked but do keep in mind that this is a public forum on the internet and there will always be comments that stray from the original subject and there will always be the handicap/difficulty of being able to differentiate between sarcasm and ill intent.

I don't believe Abe's intent was to irritate you, he did start his comment with "lol" after all. Nor was my intent to irritate you. Rather, I wanted to give you some perspective. Yes you need it to be a phone first, but that simply isn't what it is and with that comes sacrifices. Sucks but it's true.

Water under the bridge? :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea jeez i was just making fun of someone who thought the droid was more a laptop than a phone. we all use it different ways but its still a phone

and its an open forum so u could just chill man. ive helped out numerous people on here so cool ur jets

JCo352

Reaction score
The problem is a common one. I haven't found a surefire cure but I have noticed that if I don't rush to respond to the phone but allow it to ring a second time the chance of being able to answer the call increases significantly.

My guess is that the o/s is busy processing the phone ringing and (depending on what else is going on at the same time) may have trouble responding immediately to the swipe.

I've found if you give it a couple of seconds, it works more reliably. YMMV, of course.

I think this is right, because I have never had this problem, but I also never try to answer my phone when it first rings(what's the point in having awesome ringtones if you aren't going to listen to them). And to people getting mad...wow, I would hate to see you in a real world situation, umm can you say sarcasm.

OP
J

jetman

Reaction score
Actually, in my first post I agreed with you that it is an annoyance. I'm sorry you felt attacked but do keep in mind that this is a public forum on the internet and there will always be comments that stray from the original subject and there will always be the handicap/difficulty of being able to differentiate between sarcasm and ill intent.

I don't believe Abe's intent was to irritate you, he did start his comment with "lol" after all. Nor was my intent to irritate you. Rather, I wanted to give you some perspective. Yes you need it to be a phone first, but that simply isn't what it is and with that comes sacrifices. Sucks but it's true.

Water under the bridge? :)

my problem's solved, no hard feelings.... it's done

slinky

Reaction score
I've had the same problem and also put in a post about Android not prioritizing the phone application. This began happening far more often in 2.1.

Get ready for the excuses:
- It must be a bad application you installed
- My Droid NEVER has an error. It's perfect. The problem is obviously your Droid
- Must be the hardware. Get it replaced (which means a lot of us with bad hardware)

My sympathies. It's annoying. It boggles my mind why there is even a swipe instead of a simple button to answer the phone. The entire R&D group responsible must have been smoking something during the process of creating the answer portion of the code.

OP
J

jetman

Reaction score
I had this problem without the 1st application installed. (I did load up PDAnet tonight and it works great too for tethering with my laptop) If you read dorf411's post it really does work. If you just hold the green button for a second the red "Ignore" button goes away and there is a small green dot on the right side of the screen. Just drag the green "Answer" button to this dot and it answers the call no problem.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
The slide is there because a simple button on a capacitive touch screen would be a bigger nightmare. The swipe prevents accidentally answering the phone when all you did was touch it in the wrong (right) place. The iphone uses the same concept.

I prefer it to a physical button to answer. I was an excellent pocket dialer with previous phones. :)

slinky

Reaction score
The slide is there because a simple button on a capacitive touch screen would be a bigger nightmare. The swipe prevents accidentally answering the phone when all you did was touch it in the wrong (right) place. The iphone uses the same concept.

I prefer it to a physical button to answer. I was an excellent pocket dialer with previous phones. :)
Can you explain what this means? The iPhone has a button which says "answer" and another one that says "ignore."

With regard to a physical button, I'll take that any day and miss what I've had for years. Touch screens are more prone to failing, especially when they require swipe motions that can be challenging in a number of situations. In fact, if you hit the hard button on the iPhone, it too will answer the call if I remember correctly.

JCo352

Reaction score

Can you explain what this means? The iPhone has a button which says "answer" and another one that says "ignore."

With regard to a physical button, I'll take that any day and miss what I've had for years. Touch screens are more prone to failing, especially when they require swipe motions that can be challenging in a number of situations. In fact, if you hit the hard button on the iPhone, it too will answer the call if I remember correctly.

I just posted in your thread check out "Tedd's Droid Tools" in the market.

snappingfish

Reaction score
In part, you said:
".....It boggles my mind why there is even a swipe instead of a simple button to answer the phone. The entire R&D group responsible must have been smoking something during the process of creating the answer portion of the code.".....

I couldn't agree with you more! With all of the 'hands free' ratta-tat going on, if you could push a button to answer, and the speakphone had a toggle to 'on at answer' you could just lay the Droid on the console, or dash and if you received a call, just answer and talk with the touch of ONE button.

This swipe mal-conceived component is awkward and not user-friendly at all. Maybe some will read this, and FIX it!
(a-h-h-e-m-m!)
Jus' sayin' thats all!
fish . . . . :soapbox:

rjax

Reaction score
In part, you said:
".....It boggles my mind why there is even a swipe instead of a simple button to answer the phone. The entire R&D group responsible must have been smoking something during the process of creating the answer portion of the code.".....

I couldn't agree with you more! With all of the 'hands free' ratta-tat going on, if you could push a button to answer, and the speakphone had a toggle to 'on at answer' you could just lay the Droid on the console, or dash and if you received a call, just answer and talk with the touch of ONE button.

This swipe mal-conceived component is awkward and not user-friendly at all. Maybe some will read this, and FIX it!
(a-h-h-e-m-m!)
Jus' sayin' thats all!
fish . . . . :soapbox:

The two posts immediately above you are apps that allow you to touch a button on the screen and/or use the camera button to answer the phone.

slinky

Reaction score
Can't find the way to turn on the feature in mylock for the button.

Is it just me or is the Android Market painfully... painfully... painfully slow?

Badwisky

Reaction score
Our (Pedantic) friends Mule65 and Vetticeps has solved my problem. My wife’s phone had the same problem as all of you and I searched everywhere for an answer and nothing helped (even tried holding the green slider till the red one disappeared and sliding the dot never worked.) but statement that the droid is first a computer got me to thinking that quite often when something freezes up on my PC I simply reboot and it solves the problem, well Lo and behold after I rebooted my wife’s phone by powering down for a few seconds and then restarting the phone and all was well again J So I want to thank them for this seemingly useless piece of information. Rebooting might not work for everyone but it worked for me. Try it, it can’t hurt.

Last edited:

billyjoeraybob

Reaction score
I found a solution on another site, I forgot to copy and paste but here is the gist of what they identified as a solution. When the phone rings press on the green arrow on the left and hold it for a second or two then when the red arrow on the right disappears you will see a small green dot on the right. Slowly swipe to the right and release. Since I tried this method it has worked great.

AWESOME!!!! Thanks dorf411dancedroid