Can't afford service!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dweib

Reaction score
This phone is far more expensive than imagined. Got caught up in the smart phone thing cuz folks at work are always playing with them. Pre ordered this razr and paid for it on my CC. Just got my 2nd bill. Holy cow $100 more/more than the simple $70/mo plan wife and I were on before. Nearing retirement I need to get out of this completely. I'll plead unemployment (nearly so). Wife is ill as well. So what's my chances after a month of walking away from this and the b.s. contract?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Deron

Reaction score
Check the items on the bill. The first bill always contains one-time activation fees that will not occur on subsequent bills. Also, there are many employers listed as having a discount with Verizon. Do you work for one? You can visit the Verizon site to see if your employer qualifies you for a discount. Mine gives me 20% off monthly voice plans.

Also, are you on the lowest voice plan? Can do eliminate or reduce your texting plan?

I doubt you will be able to get out of the contact without the fee. You signed the contract saying you understood the monthly charges.

On another note ... why would you buy something just because you see other people playing with it at work? I see people playing on their iPhones all the time and pitty them for being stuck with such a restrictive device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
The first bill is always more expensive, due to the aforemenentioned fees. It wouldn't hurt to call CS and see if there are any options available that may lower your bill.

OP
D

Dweib

Reaction score
Had the basic 700 minute line share plan. Which was $39 plus $20 for 2nd line. Changed billing name from my wife to me, same address. They tacked on a $15 name change fee to both lines! Now have same plan but they raised that price, plus I have the basic $30 data plan. Yet my 2nd bill had bunch of cryptic charges on it totaling to $160! Which I refuse to pay.

Blue collar folks at my place don't get the discount. We're supposed to be running production not playing with some executive smart phone.

I wanted a toy to play with too.
Thought I could afford it. I can't.

Upgraded online.

Was out of contract.

Already have desktop and netbook at home. Don't really need another one in my pocket.

After I get out of work wife and I are going to VZ and plead our case. Basically tell them where they can stick it. If we get out of this going to get a trac phone and if I really think I need a toy maybe I'll look at a galaxy player 4.

jayb

Reaction score
Why did you not read your contract? And when you signed up they told you how much it was going to be and how much monthly charges are going to be. I realize you did this online but when you were placing your order they tell you how much everything will be. On another note it will cost a lot to get out of you contract and I would suggest that you sell it on eBay to get the money you need to get out of your contract. You should be able to get $400-500$ for it as long as it is still like new. just a thought.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
And if you go to Verizon and tell them to shove it, they will tell you that you signed a contract and there is nothing they can or will do.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
It is not Verizon's fault that YOU cannot afford the bill. Unfortunately, that is what they will tell you. I'm not trying to be rude, but they tell you before you click "OK" or sign on the dotted line, what the monthly cost will be.

jayb

Reaction score
It is not Verizon's fault that YOU cannot afford the bill. Unfortunately, that is what they will tell you. I'm not trying to be rude, but they tell you before you click "OK" or sign on the dotted line, what the monthly cost will be.

^^^^ Yep. It tells you all the charges before you ever click accept.

Reaction score
This phone is far more expensive than imagined. Got caught up in the smart phone thing cuz folks at work are always playing with them. Pre ordered this razr and paid for it on my CC. Just got my 2nd bill. Holy cow $100 more/more than the simple $70/mo plan wife and I were on before. Nearing retirement I need to get out of this completely. I'll plead unemployment (nearly so). Wife is ill as well. So what's my chances after a month of walking away from this and the b.s. contract?

You won't be able to get out of the contact without paying the early termination fee. If I were you I would give it another month and see what a regular bill would be. But if that is still too expensive for your needs, you're only option for getting out of it would be to find someone to take over that phone line. Basically, that phone will be removed from your family share plan and transferred to someone else and they will take over Billing. Then you can just add another line to your wifes plan again with a basic phone.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Yep. It tells you all the charges before you ever click accept.

I have never had Verizon give me an accurate estimate of my bill. EVER. It is always more expensive. The first month's bill is always horrendous and I am always on the phone to fight my bill after any time I change my plan. Verizon sucks in that department.

X

jayb

Reaction score
I have never had Verizon give me an accurate estimate of my bill. EVER. It is always more expensive. The first month's bill is always horrendous and I am always on the phone to fight my bill after any time I change my plan. Verizon sucks in that department.

X

Sorry about that but mine has always been correct. You have to read what you are signing. The have a initial activation fee and taxes and all kids of crap. I know I hate it as much as the next person. But is all on the agreement that you sign. And ya the first months bill is outrageous if you have the price of the phone put on your bill also.

S

SFGate

Verizon is not the only carrier that tacks on fees without informing the customer. T-Mobile has done it to me, as well as ATT. I am speaking about the nondisclosed changes/fees, not about anything that might have been on the screen or paper before the customer signs it. Warning the OP to keep a vigilant eye on his and his wife's credit reports after he pays the early termination fees. Years after I paid an early termination fee with Verizon, (which BTW was not valid), they reentered the information on my credit report. There is a limit to how many times one wants to pay the same money to get away from any of the providers, Verizon included.

OP
D

Dweib

Reaction score
Had to pay the $299 up front with CC for razr.

My Dad retired at 81and got out of his VZ contract OK.

Our phone bill should be < $100 for 700min line share (2 lines) with the 4G data. Plus $7mo insurance and maybe $12 for various access fees. And that's it. No other b.s. surprises. Agreed? Total < $120. Right?

I want to sit down with them and do a polite analysis. See if they can work with me on this. I know I usually get contacted afterwards to see if
I'm satisfied. I had better be.

Posting in these forums had best not be charged as text messaging.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.